Java Fern Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Discovered today the Java Fern in my 55g, which has been doing horribly thanx to my plec (who has managed to tear off big leaves and dragged them around the tank, plus I have yet to see any root growth), is having lil Java fern babies! (see below).

I'd love to move them to the 25g, but I have no idea when they're ok to move, or how. Do I wait till they fall off? Till they just get a decent amount of roots? Do I tie them onto the driftwood like I did initially?

I think when they grow enough roots, they'll almost fall off on their own (that's what happened to one of mine). I barely touched it and off it came.

I removed it and stuck the roots down into a crack in the driftwood and its doing great. :)

The same thing happened to my java fern in my 55 gal tank. I can't really tell what you mean from the picture, but mine had small plants growing on the leaves. I'm assuming this is what you mean. I found that they pulled off very easily. I moved them to another tank and so far are doing fine. My pleco hasn't bothered mine yet except he liked to lay on the leaves until I moved the plants off of the driftwood.

Coolio :) Since I didn't even see them over the weekend, my guess is they should reach an inch fairly quickly yes? And looks like some of the other leaves will be kicking off lil babies soon too; I can see fuzzy bits on some of em.

Now lets see if the plec will leave them alone long enough to get to be an inch big LOL Atm I have one leaf stuck to the filter intake cage that I have to go remove, and one stuck inside one of the driftwood caves; not only has he been tearing em up, he's also redecorating *sigh* And this is the plec who gets algae wafers, Bio-Blend herbivore food as well as a green squash a week (plus hoovering up every elses food). Pig!

And yeah cage :) Those lil plants are the java fern babies.

Back
Top Bottom