Java Fern Babies being Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have 2 Adult Java Ferns, and they have produced around 10 baby plants 1in leaves (still attached to the parents). Currently I am using soft lead plant anchors to hold down the parent plants on top of the gravel.

I am trying to create a corner of the tank w/ just java ferns, so I think it would be a little cumbersome to hold down all these babies w/ plant anchors. Is there anyway of getting these into bunches in a corner of a tank w/o using 10 anchors?

I would prefer not to put anymore objects (driftwood, rocks, etc) into the tank.

Suggestions?

Hi. When my Java Fern has 'babies' I let them grow as big as possible on the mother plant. Normally wait until they float off. Then I bunch them together with fishing line and tie them to a small piece of slate. This doesn't need to be big, only an inch or so, just enough hold them down. You could use a lead weight instead. Just don't try to bury the roots, they will eventually find their own way into the gravel. It works for me although I do favour tying the fern to a rock or wood higher up in the tank. Very few of my fern are now 'planted'.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. When my Java Fern has 'babies' I let them grow as big as possible on the mother plant. Normally wait until they float off. Then I bunch them together with fishing line and tie them to a small piece of slate. This doesn't need to be big, only an inch or so, just enough hold them down. You could use a lead weight instead. Just don't try to bury the roots, they will eventually find their own way into the gravel. It works for me although I do favour tying the fern to a rock or wood higher up in the tank. Very few of my fern are now 'planted'.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This worked perfect, I was able to bunch them together and then lightly lead weighted around the roots.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom