java fern dark green leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prodromos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello guys!!!

i am new in the forum and new to this amazing hobby?

i have a problem with my java fern..the edges of the leaves turned to dark green...please see attachement!!
any suggestion what causes that and how to fix it??

Attachments

• 20180115_233428.jpg
    20180115_233428.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 128
Fern should not be planted in the substrate of that's how you have it planted, they should be attached to apiece if drift wood or rock with their roots exposed to the water column, could be a water deficiency as per nutrients or lighting but ferns will grow pretty easily with most tanks.

it's this a new tank recently set up? If so it could be the cycling process, what is the tank temperature as that also could be a factor.

Do you have any water readings?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph
Kh/gh?

Thank you for your reply!!

Its attached to driftwood.. the tank was recently set up(1 month old).
i am using CO2 with Co2 controller
The PH is around 6.65 to 6.7
Tempereature 24.5 to 25 celsious
KH & GH around 6 to 7
the others (NO2. NO3 and ammonia) i dont remember now but are low
and also for lighting i am using EHEIMpowerled for fresh plants

To me that looks like it's just a new leaf growing. Give it a week or so and it should look normal. All my java ferns new leaves grow like that initially

Do you leave the CO2 on 24/7 with the controller?
When I ran my CO2 with a Milwaukee controller I still used a timer to turn the CO2 solenoid on and off with light cycle.
I only ask because you listed a 'stable ' Ph reading and when I installed CO2 I would drop the pH one degree every day to reach the proper level of saturation.

Very very nice rams by the way ;)

Actually i have my CO2 controller at 6.7 ph.. so when the ph goes around 6.75 the valve open and when comes to 6.7 the valve turned off.... this is for 24 hrs 7 days a week!!

I havent notice any problems to plants or fishes due to CO2!!

Thanks man on the rams [my passion] !
Plants respire at night and use O2 so it is possible the controller is only feeding Co2 to the tank during the lighting cycle ,but most just use a timer..The plants produce CO2 at night so it need is not there.

ok I understand that nad is crystal clear!!

During light cycle i have around to 6.7ph....if i turn off the CO2 during night cycle the ph will increase...is this a problem for the fishes?

No the change in pH is not real..It is just a reaction to the gas and physically changes the water not one little bit.
In all other case [beside injecting Co2] changing pH 1 degree can be dangerous.
Do you use a drop checker to ball park CO2 saturation?
If not do you test your kH to ballpark from a chart?
How did you come up with the setting you use?
I let my tank run without CO2 and then set controller 1 degree lower.I turned on [timer] CO@ 1 hour before lights [so it would be available when lights came on] and shut it off 1 hour before lights so it would be used up.

yes i use drop checker and all time is green!!
ok i will use a timer for co2 and i will see what will happen :)

Thank you for your reply!!

Its attached to driftwood.. the tank was recently set up(1 month old).
i am using CO2 with Co2 controller
The PH is around 6.65 to 6.7
Tempereature 24.5 to 25 celsious
KH & GH around 6 to 7
the others (NO2. NO3 and ammonia) i dont remember now but are low
and also for lighting i am using EHEIMpowerled for fresh plants
I noticed it was on drift wood when I woke up, I was half asleep lol, I am not familiar with co2 and just staring out in plants, I just know the very basics but learning more stuff every day, sorry if I couldn't give you much help as I Mentioned I know no nothing about co2

Yeah, that’s just a new leaf. It’s a natural part of the Java Fern growing cycle. Here is an example of it from Ishikawa Island Java Fern in my tank:
k9orDwo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom