Java fern has gone crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I found this just last night. My java fern has sprouted about 9 or so plantlets on one leaf. Is this normal for so many plantlets on one leaf?

Attachments

• image-1111458909.jpg
    image-1111458909.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 153
That big leaf with black spots? Those stringy this look like worms? I dont really see new sprouts

That big leaf with black spots? Those stringy this look like worms? I dont really see new sprouts

Yes the worm things. They have roots coming off of where they are attached. I already have had two come off of this plant and there are two other leaves that have one on each. Just never have seen this many. Wasn't sure if its normal for so many.

So I found this just last night. My java fern has sprouted about 9 or so plantlets on one leaf. Is this normal for so many plantlets on one leaf?

I'm with rivercat its normal I just got through picking over 100 plantlets off of one plant.

Thanks rivercat! I appreciate getting advice from you.

100! Wow! Do you clip the leaf off or pick them off the leaf?

I just cut all the leafs off once a month and put the plantlets in my low light tanks.

java ferns

I started with 1 and now I have over a dozen large plants and The worm like things are roots.They are a hardy and slow growing plant.good for cichlid tanks cause they hang on the rocks,wood and other stuff

I started with 1 and now I have over a dozen large plants and The worm like things are roots.They are a hardy and slow growing plant.good for cichlid tanks cause they hang on the rocks,wood and other stuff

In my experience the growth rate is dependent on the lighting. I have mine in high light and usually get around 2-3 inches of growth a week.

I just cut all the leafs off once a month and put the plantlets in my low light tanks.

Ok. That's what I have done so far.

You know, I never knew the java fern did this!

Neither did I until it happened to me and I looked it up.

I'm up to 3 out of one. Including the next round ill be moving up to 14.

I have a question about the plantlets. The leaf the 9 are on is touching the top of the water level and some of the plantlets are growing out of the water. Will they be fine growing out of the water a little? Can I clip the leaf and the plantlets still grow from getting nutrients from the clipped leaf?

I am coming up to my WC day, so the water level will go back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom