Java fern issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
Sorry to flood the forum tonight with questions, but I have another 1:

My java ferns up to this point have been growing great and looked good. Recently however, they started to get some dark spots on them. I don't think it is algae, looks like little spots on the leaves have started to die. Also, the big leaves (not the new growth) have started to grow what look like roots at the end of them. Is this how the plant propagates? The roots make it look pretty ugly.

19738-albums313-picture2271.jpg

Yeah my java fern did this aswell, all those roots at the end will start springing out new leaves and stuff, it does make them look ugly though, this is the reason I got rid of mine to be honest. Just got bad.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the fern. The old leaves die by turning brown like these are. When they get ugly, just cut them off. The roots/little leaves growing on larger leaves are new ferns. You can cut these little things off and shove them into the roots of the plant. They'll just grow there and your plant will fill out.

Will this plant continue to produce new leaves? It is attached to the driftwood, so I can't really "plant" the little growths next to the big plant. I suppose I can trim the roots/new leaves off and plant them in the substrate or get rid of them.

ye, it will continue to grow new leaves, and it will continue to grow plantlets off its leaves. i personally love the look. give it time and your leaves will be covered in plantlets. if you dont like the look of somthing on your plant, just pull it off, i dont think removing the plantlets will hurt the original plant.

Back
Top Bottom