Java fern leaves letting out roots??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redruckus

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently put some java ferns in my tank in some cracks and crevices of the bogwood and its been about a week and the leaves seem to be growing roots and small sprouts from neer the tip of the underside of the leaves is this a sign of them being healthy or are they gona die soon

redruckus said:
i recently put some java ferns in my tank in some cracks and crevices of the bogwood and its been about a week and the leaves seem to be growing roots and small sprouts from neer the tip of the underside of the leaves is this a sign of them being healthy or are they gona die soon

That's how they multiply. It's perfectly normal. The leaves will eventually die and you will have to plant/attach the baby java ferns.

so its just the leaves that are giving off the roots that will die because the main root clump has alot of small shoots 1-3" long growing off of it and they seem to be getting bigger by the day so just the leaves with roots will die not the whole plant?

redruckus said:
so its just the leaves that are giving off the roots that will die because the main root clump has alot of small shoots 1-3" long growing off of it and they seem to be getting bigger by the day so just the leaves with roots will die not the whole plant?

Yes, just the leaves with roots will die and not the whole plant.

Congratulations you are now the proud owner of baby java ferns!

As previously stated, this is how java fern reproduce. Through budding. Those babies will float off or with you help, find a new place and the circle of life will continue!

a few of them broke off already but ended up getting stuck to my filter intake like anything in my tank that has been folating around for 12 hours.. but i tryed to save them and nessled them in the crack next to the perants because i want an nice patch of java fern but still have room to kinda mix in neddle leaf java fern to give effect i might try to "farm" them in my smaller 15gal tank but i might have to get a better light for it its running on 2 25wat straight aquarium bulbs (its the hood that came with the tank, would a weather loach or clown loach up root them constantly i do have wood and a rock thing in the tank i could tie them too if it would help

I usually leave my baby ferns floating or I corral them in my breeder box. They get lost pretty easily if you've got a lot of plants.

Don't pack them together too tightly. Java ferns will get pretty big. I made the mistake of attaching mine 3"-4" apart and they're running into one another now.

ya if they float around tho i have realy good circulation im my large tank and they end up on my filter intake and die so ill probably tie them down in my smaller tank but the lighting is well 2 25wat light bulbs not the best for growing anything other then java moss , I migh use flourish im my little tank to help them grom but i dont know if it will affect my smaller fish and the filter i have the replacement filters have carbon built in so its hard to take out does using carbon filters effect how well fourish works?

Flourish won't affect your fish. You don't really need the carbon, but it won't hurt the ferts. Flourish comprehensive is great, but if you just have java ferns and java moss, you can probably get away with something like Florapride or Leaf Zone.

Back
Top Bottom