java fern leaves turning black....Now a hostage situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
8:00 pm EST

Probably not a good thing, eh? What does this mean? Is the sky falling?

--MyCatsDrool

===========================

10:09 pm EST

Hello

I am myCatsDrool's Java Ferns. We are holding her hostage until someone tells us why we are turning black. She will not be safe until we have answers.

Sincerely
The Ferns

Small black spots on Java Fern leaves is usually a sign that it is going to develope plantlets soon.

I always associate and have tested this to be a lull in good CO2.

Having done it a dozen or so times, and having intense full Java fern under high light, it's certainly well correlated even though the tank gets EI, high light, routine weekly water changes, and has for 2+ years.

Reducing the light also reduces the CO2 uptake, that also improved growth when it was blackening, restoring good green growth.

This had little to do with plantlet formation(little formation occured each time), although I have seen some.

Regards,

Tom Barr

Thanks Tom.

The whole leaf is turning black, but still feels firm and healthy. I upped the CO2 just recently. Hopefully it will recover.

Give it 2-3 weeks before judging things.
The lull in CO2 may not be expressed as Algae, but it'll show stunting and various patterning in plants. Some plants are poor at CO2 uptake, whereas others are very good at it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom