Java Fern Planting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoxly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all, whats a ryzome? And what should I attach it too o___o I thought you just stick it in the sand..

What part needs to be attached to something? I just wanted a simple plant to stick in the sand and let it grow and make my fish happy but apparently nothing is simple in the fish world -sigh-

Attachments

• 0611101919.jpg
    0611101919.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 178
Okay figured it out... still don't know if that one on the far right is gonna make it, but its rhizome is really green :)

The rhizome is the thick, lateral portion of the plant that the leaves/roots branch off of. Most plants can simply be thrown in the substrate, but Java ferns and anubias should be up out of the substrate for the most part. Use some thread, rubber bands, or fishing line to attach the rhizome to a piece of driftwood, rock, or decoration, and you'll be just fine. Best of luck and keep us updated.

They don't get their nutrients from the substrate, so they need to get it from the water by being out of the substrate and attached to something. They can even bee free floating in the aquarium I've heard. I saw one design in a petstore aquarium that had it tied to a fishing line that suspended it mid tank with some floating marimo moss balls.

People suggest that you glue them, or tie them to a rock or something with a rough surface and then the roots will eventually grow into the grooves and hold ont heir own. I used a loaf of bread tie.

Java ferns can be planted in the substrate. You just have to be careful not to plant them too deeply or the rhizome will rot killing the plant. Your best bet is to plant the rhizome level with the top of the substrate and only the roots buried.

Back
Top Bottom