Java Fern question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a small batch of Java for my home tank from my LFS were I normally get everything with no issues. Got this guy home and noticed all these hard black and brown spots on the leaves and some green growths as well. Is this a concern? Doesn’t look like any snail eggs I have seen...

If I run my thumb across the leaf they come off with a little give.

IMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0520.jpg

I bought a small batch of Java for my home tank from my LFS were I normally get everything with no issues. Got this guy home and noticed all these hard black and brown spots on the leaves and some green growths as well. Is this a concern? Doesn’t look like any snail eggs I have seen...

If I run my thumb across the leaf they come off with a little give.

View attachment 310834View attachment 310835View attachment 310836View attachment 310837View attachment 310838

Thats normal
those are spores that will probably shoot of new plantlets

That doesn't look anything like mine. Mine grow out new plans from midway down the leaf to the end and some of the things you have look like gall. It is the plants way of protecting it from a foreign object by growing and outer growth around it.

Here is an example of how my java fern propagates.IMG_20181021_202118.jpeg

Java fern enthusiast here; this is definitely not normal. Java fern does often propagate by spores on the underside of the leaves, but not like this.

This looks like either illness or infestation. Do not put this in your tank. I'd put it in a QT tank to get a better look at it. If the nodes open up with small filaments, it's likely harmless bryzoas.

If it spreads and warps the leaves or inhibits leaf growth, it's likely an infection. It's possible that these are protective galls forming in response to the plant trying to quarantine and battle an infection. Like cysts in the human body.

If it's not bryzoas, I'd dispose of it quite seriously. As in flames.

Java fern enthusiast here; this is definitely not normal. Java fern does often propagate by spores on the underside of the leaves, but not like this.

This looks like either illness or infestation. Do not put this in your tank. I'd put it in a QT tank to get a better look at it. If the nodes open up with small filaments, it's likely harmless bryzoas.

If it spreads and warps the leaves or inhibits leaf growth, it's likely an infection. It's possible that these are protective galls forming in response to the plant trying to quarantine and battle an infection. Like cysts in the human body.

If it's not bryzoas, I'd dispose of it quite seriously. As in flames.

Is there anything medicine/chemical wise I can toss in there to help kill off whatever it is?

yea im with tunamanphd on this one. these are normal. i have had them on my plants before and they turned out to spawn new plants. i will say though none of mine were ever brown, they were always green/dark green. if you are truly worried about them then trim off all leaves with these on it or do as others said and quarantine the plant.

As Goat and Tuna have said, they do propagate by little nodes on the underside of leaves. But there are things here that stand out as abnormal. Such as; propagation doesn't happen from the central vein. And it doesn't happen from the base of the leaf.

I'm also not convinced that a bleach dip would do it. But again, putting it in a QT tank and watching it for a few weeks is the best way to sort out if these are going to sprout or spread.

Back
Top Bottom