Java Fern Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
is .55 wpg enough for java fern?

i am currently not dosing anything on this tank (45 gal Lake Malawi tank) i am just relying on PWC and Fish to provide plants with nutrients.

the java fern leaves are starting to look a little raged, perhaps iron deficiency? (small holes in leaves) might also be from mbuna, though i have not observed them picking on the plants yet.

ferns are tied to a rock so rhizome is exposed...

That may be stretching it a bit...little more than .5wpg. I've heard of some success stories with that amount however, not much. Since Java ferns don't require any significant dosing, I'd say it's the lighting.

i had sucess with java fern with 0wpg, i had it in my 10gal which i didn't keep lights on years ago. I didnt dose, and it had only room light from my light fixture on my ceiling. It grew pretty well too.

actually it is a 25 watt T8, so doesn't that make it actually 0.83 wpg? (watt of light *1.5 then divide by 45 gallons)

the tank is tall, but the java fern is ~ 1 foot from the light on top of rock pile...

Back
Top Bottom