Java Fern Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all: I have a couple of questions about Java Fern Plantlets growing on the tips of mature leaves. I've read some conflicting articles and need some advice. Some artices said that the mature leaves with plantlets will die off. I'm getting some good rhizomal growth on all of the plants and the leaves (I guess I should say fronds) don't seem any the worse for wear. Do the plantlets eventually wieght themselves down to the substrate or should I at some point remove them and place them. I have experience with a number of different plant types, but never any aquatic ferns.

Thanks.

The leaves will not die, they will get brown and ugly but they're dropping babies so.. eventually the plant let will detach and most likely get stuck in your filter intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I usually wait until the little plantlets break free. I'll spot them floating around when I change the water. Then I secure them to something. Small rocks. Once they have more leaves and a little bit of rhizome I'll move them to something a bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom