Java Fern turning brown. Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clausura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

My tank has been running for about 3 months now. It is stocked with
5 zebra danios
6 harlequin rasboras
4 neon tetras
2 otos

About a month ago, I thought that my tank had an attack of diatoms as the glass was covered by rust coloured algae but I managed to clear them by using an algae scraper. Then I noticed that my Java fern leaves were covered by this brown stuff that was very difficult to rub off. My rocks also had them and it was completely covered. I discovered that I had the dreaded BBA so last week I decided to do something about it. i got Flourish Excel and put it in a spray bottle, took out all my driftwood with ferns and started spraying the driftwood and ferns. I also pulled off the baby ferns and attached them to the driftwood by fishing line. I also started running a pressurised CO2 system with diffuser, added 2 capfuls of Excel daily and Flourish Comprehensive twice a week. Now, after a week, most of the brown algae is gone although there are some clear substance still on the edges of some leaves. The driftwood though has turned somewhat green in certain areas.

image-932426878.jpg

2 days after the BBA cleanout, the java ferns started turning brown, from the edges and spread to the centre of the fern leaf. Some of the ferns also have very small holes where the leaves have turned brown. Both the old leaves and the young leaves are affected.

image-4125135671.jpg

image-1305472859.jpg

image-2589229678.jpg

1) Are my java fern dying? If they are, what has caused it and what can I do to remedy the situation?

2) Is there a nutrient deficiency? I have googled it and some have said that it is because of the low nitrate levels in the tank.

Before the treatment, the leaves of the ferns are really green, but ever since being taken over by the BBA hardly put out any new leaves. Now, I don't see any new leaves or baby plants at all, like growth is stunted.

I will provide the details of the tank conditions, before and after treatment.

No water change since last week.
Used to be 50% water change every week with gravel vaccuum.

Tank size: 54G, 4 feet x 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet
Filter: Canister 1300l/h
Substrate: River gravel

Before treatment:
No CO2 injection
Run bubblewand 24 hrs
Bag of coral in filter
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 7ppm

After treatment
CO2 injection 3 bubbles per sec
Stopped running bubble wand
pH: 6.5

Lighting and CO2 both turn on together from 12pm - 4pm and 6pm - 10pm.
Lights are T5, 54W. I have 2 tubes but only running one, switching around every week.
Fish are fed daily, only as much as they can eat in a minute.

Please help. Cos now my tank is looking like autumn, all brown and old looking.

Clausura said:
Hi guys.

My tank has been running for about 3 months now. It is stocked with
5 zebra danios
6 harlequin rasboras
4 neon tetras
2 otos

About a month ago, I thought that my tank had an attack of diatoms as the glass was covered by rust coloured algae but I managed to clear them by using an algae scraper. Then I noticed that my Java fern leaves were covered by this brown stuff that was very difficult to rub off. My rocks also had them and it was completely covered. I discovered that I had the dreaded BBA so last week I decided to do something about it. i got Flourish Excel and put it in a spray bottle, took out all my driftwood with ferns and started spraying the driftwood and ferns. I also pulled off the baby ferns and attached them to the driftwood by fishing line. I also started running a pressurised CO2 system with diffuser, added 2 capfuls of Excel daily and Flourish Comprehensive twice a week. Now, after a week, most of the brown algae is gone although there are some clear substance still on the edges of some leaves. The driftwood though has turned somewhat green in certain areas.

2 days after the BBA cleanout, the java ferns started turning brown, from the edges and spread to the centre of the fern leaf. Some of the ferns also have very small holes where the leaves have turned brown. Both the old leaves and the young leaves are affected.

1) Are my java fern dying? If they are, what has caused it and what can I do to remedy the situation?

2) Is there a nutrient deficiency? I have googled it and some have said that it is because of the low nitrate levels in the tank.

Before the treatment, the leaves of the ferns are really green, but ever since being taken over by the BBA hardly put out any new leaves. Now, I don't see any new leaves or baby plants at all, like growth is stunted.

I will provide the details of the tank conditions, before and after treatment.

No water change since last week.
Used to be 50% water change every week with gravel vaccuum.

Tank size: 54G, 4 feet x 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet
Filter: Canister 1300l/h
Substrate: River gravel

Before treatment:
No CO2 injection
Run bubblewand 24 hrs
Bag of coral in filter
pH: 7.8

After treatment
CO2 injection 3 bubbles per sec
Stopped running bubble wand
pH: 6.5

Lighting and CO2 both turn on together from 12pm - 4pm and 6pm - 10pm.
Lights are T5, 54W. I have 2 tubes but only running one, switching around every week.
Fish are fed daily, only as much as they can eat in a minute.

Please help. Cos now my tank is looking like autumn, all brown and old looking.

By the way, the temperature of my tank is around 28 - 29 degrees celsius.

Hope someone can chime in and share the same experience and what they did.

For some reason Excel kills java fern. I have java fern in my tank and wondered why it did t do well. I don't use Co2, only Excel. I was doing some research and read a post from Tom Barr that said java fern doesn't do well with Excel

I've been dosing excel every other day for the lay few weeks with my java fern and have had nothing but awesome results.

I didn't go to the extreme and have been very care about the amount. Maybe you changed too much at once and the plant is just adjusting? The way you wrote it makes it seem that you hit it pretty hard with the CO2 dosing.

What was the time frame for the PH change?

Back
Top Bottom