Java fern turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help! Recently, I've noticed that my Java fern are turning white. They are starting to get paler and paler. I have one betta in the tank and do weekly 25 percent water changes. I don't put any fertilizers in it and the tank is a 6.6g fluval Chi. The Java fern seemed to grow really well and fast during the first month. It grew a bunch of new little leaves/plantlets but now it's kinda slowed down. I feel like this may be nutrient deficiency or maybe it's the light? Please help.

Help! Recently, I've noticed that my Java fern are turning white. They are starting to get paler and paler. I have one betta in the tank and do weekly 25 percent water changes. I don't put any fertilizers in it and the tank is a 6.6g fluval Chi. The Java fern seemed to grow really well and fast during the first month. It grew a bunch of new little leaves/plantlets but now it's kinda slowed down. I feel like this may be nutrient deficiency or maybe it's the light? Please help.

Well, what kind of light? that will help determine if it's the light.
Got a pic of the plant?
You should probably pick up an all in one fertilizer such as thrive, simple to use.

In other news, when you got the plant the tank would have nutrients in it not being used. The plant would rapidly use those nutrients up, which you saw with the new leaves. Now, java ferns will produce plantlets because of stress, the plant would rather cannibalize its own leaf in order to reproduce a smaller series of plantlets. So, obviously the plant was under some kind of stress, but my vote is nutrient related.

The light is just the fluval Chi light. It's 9 or 11 little LEDs. I don't know though how to get a picture of the plant. On of them is kinda thin and small. About 3 inches long 1 inch wide. Mostly pale white or green. Another plant is mostly green. It has a couple big plantlets and is mostly green but is starting to have some pale spots.

The light is just the fluval Chi light. It's 9 or 11 little LEDs. I don't know though how to get a picture of the plant. On of them is kinda thin and small. About 3 inches long 1 inch wide. Mostly pale white or green. Another plant is mostly green. It has a couple big plantlets and is mostly green but is starting to have some pale spots.
Sounds like its hungry. This is a low light plant. So, I don't think your light is it. If the the light was too bright the leaves would probably burn. And low light is what they like. That being side, it needs fertilizer.

As above - sounds like my small tank and java fern. I put masking tape over some leds to lower light if you don’t want to increase dosing.

Back
Top Bottom