Java Moss!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
How come it wont grow for me!

I have my java moss in two tanks now and although it's green it just doesn't root and doesn't spread out, I suppose because it's not rooting. Like I can lift it up as if I just put it in the tank. It's been in one 5 gallon with 10 watts of light for about 5 months and it's been in my 10 gallon with 30 watts of light for about 2 weeks.

Is the filter and the moving water stopping it from clinging properly and beginning to root or what! :shock:

There is no CO2 in these tanks but one has onyx sand(5g) the other has flourite (10g).

Moss doesn't root, but it will attach to things. To get it to attach, it's generally helpful to spread it out thinly and tie it to the surface that you want it to attach to. If moss becomes too thick the lower layers will die off and cause it to detach.

Plant growth is directly related to the amount of light and nutrients in an aquarium. Since both of your aquariums are fairly low light, your plants will grow slower. As long as the moss is looking nice and healthy, it's doing fine.

As usual, I agree with Purr. Moss is a very slow growing plant, even under high light conditions.

I use lightweight fishing line to secure mine to rocks, driftwood, or whereever I want it. Over time, it will attach itself, but even then it's not a fast growing plant.

In order to ensure the moss is well spread-out to take in the optimum level of light, you might need to consider laying them on a stainless steel wire mesh, then wrap the stainless steel wire mesh with a plant net to make sure that the moss will not drop out from the mesh and float on the water.

Last edited:
It takes patience, but your effort will sure reward you with a magnificent tank!

By the way, not to forget about the temperature - java moss can survive well in a wide range of temperature - but it grow really fast only under certain range.

Personally, I use black cotton thread to attach Java and Willow moss to objects. By the time the thread decays, the moss is attached. Just FYI, Java moss attaches and grows far better if attached to driftwood, rather than to stones, according to my tests with the species.
It does grow better in a vivarium where flowing water exists. The humidity in a vivarium suits the plant.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom