java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver moggridge

Aquarium Advice Activist
what can i use so that my java moss will grow around my wood in my tank? ive ordered a c02 kit but at the moment im useing a cheap one that tetra tec make and i think that its too small for my tank! my plants havent seemed to flourish. any help would be nice.

Attachments

• 06022009236.jpg
    06022009236.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 63
I like your driftwood!
I found once the java moss got started in my tank it really grew well. You can spread out your java moss and tie it with thread.
You don't say how much light you are using and what type of fertilizers if any.

Java moss will grow better with some current/movement of water in the tank. Adding a powerhead will probably make it grow faster. Also spreading it out and tieing it in individual strands will help it grow faster as well. The key is to expose as much of it as possible to light. Having it in a mass doesn't allow the bottom to get much light at all. How much lighting is on the tank? Java moss doesn't need much light to grow, though it does grow faster with higher lighting and it turns bright green as well with increased light. The main reason that I'm asking about lighting is because it doesn't appear from your pic that you have high lighting, and without that the CO2 won't do much good for the plants. They need lots of light to use lots of CO2.

the pic isnt very good it is alot brighter inthe tank itself but the light that i have in the tank is just a standard uv strip light that came with the tank lid. ill try spreading it around a bit more. cheers.
Also the bogwood has seeped out tannin into the water im just curious on how to get rid of it or even calm it down?

You can take the wood out and boil it, sometimes that helps.

ok cool. the thing is that the bogwood is massive and i dont have a big enough pot to boil it up in lol. but thanks for the advice. any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

ive just purchased some purigen seachem beacause ive herd that it works a treet so ill give it a try and see how i get on this is how my tank looks now.

Attachments

• DSCF1205.jpg
    DSCF1205.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 55
I would think the purigen will starve the plants of food; it will suck nitrates and phosphates right out of the water (metaphorically speaking).

oliver,

I found that I had to increase my dosing of nutrients to keep up with what the purigen pulled out and after a month or so I found some of the classic signs of plants being deprived of nutrients until the purigen started to get to maximum saturation (leaves began to become translucent and lose their green). I'd have to look back at my posts from a few years ago to recount exactly what happened when I tried it.

Purigen is probably best in tanks that don't have plants.

heres a pic of my tank after the tretment of puregen you may not be able to tell from the pic but it realy has mad a huge difference. also if i take it back out will the annin come back with avengence?

Attachments

• DSCF1245.jpg
    DSCF1245.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom