Java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a clump of java moss at the lfs today. I've never had the stuff. The clump that I received didn't really have a root system or a structure of any kind. Reminded me of cuttings or the like. As it was, I couldn't really band any to the drift wood that I have in the tank since it just kept falling apart as I tried to tie it on. I still have a few large pieces of the clump left. Is there a trick to tieing this stuff on to things? Will the java moss root?

I just tied it on with black cotton thread, I put 15-20 loops around it to hold it to the driftwood, eventually the thread just rots away. I tried less loops it didnt hold. some broke loose even with a lot of loops, but enough stayed that it is established now. It was tricky though, and mine seems to attract string algae. It has rooted to the driftwood, but I dont know if it would root to rocks or substrate.

Ah so did you basically wrap the moss onto the drift wood? I was trying to band it in a single spot with several wraps. From what I picture, you spread the loops of thread out instead of keeping it like a coil.

I saw an interesting thing in the tank last night. The angle was actually nipping on the java moss. I thought that fish didn't nip on java moss or java fern.

Yeah i sort of wrapped it with many loops spread out, like you said.

My angels do stramge things like that once in a while too, nip a little moss or even algae. not much and not often, so i dont worry about it.

I figure that the angel was taste testing. A couple times. I also bought an anubias, a large variety :( which is floating in the middle of the tank as I haven't found a rock to sink the plant yet. Some moss had floated over to the rhizome of the anubias and that is what the angel was eating. Just something new I figure.

Another thought, will Java moss grow in a wet enviornment outside of the water (like a wet substrate)? I am still working on my paludarium, and looking for a good moss. I could have it down the wet wall from the top hanging into the water.

In the articles that I read, using java moss out of water wasn't mentioned. Having touched the stuff, I'm doubting that it could grow in the open air. The structure collapses if it's handled. I could be very wrong though. I'm trying to remember how the java moss handed the water/air barrier in a display tank I saw at the lfs. I don't know if it reached the surface.

You could always try growing it in the open air to see what happens.

You could always try growing it in the open air to see what happens

I agree with this. It's cheap, give it a try! I also have no idea if it would work on a wet wall/waterfall area, but IMO it's worth a shot!

I was really sort of surprised when I saw the java moss tonight. I had stuffed a clump in a crevice of drift wood and the moss branched out some and looks almost nice.

Back
Top Bottom