Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Have you ever used Java Moss? Liked It?

• Yes and yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and No

• No...

• Total voters

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Um ive read wonders about this one. They say its a very easy plant to take care of. I was planning on getting some from my lfs.

Price: $20
Size: 1 square inch, 2 max

My lfs sez its expensive because its imported and stuff.

Let us hear what say you.

TIA
Pato

*blink*blink* Yikes, that's expensive.

I finally located a local lfs that carries it just two days ago. I ended up paying $5 for a nice 2 inch diameter ball of the stuff. I've tied it to a nice rock decoration that I wanted "carpeted", and am now waiting to see if it likes my tank.

On a plus side, I've picked up two nice hitchhiker plants that I've still not identified. They are small, 3 leafed floaters that were apparantly tangled inside the ball. They are rather amusing to watch. They'll float to the surface of my hex, bob around in circles until the float under the water stream from my filter, and then sink almost to the bottom, and float in circles while slowly ascending back to the surface. :)

Weird.

At what temp do you keep your tank? Any lightning? What wattage?
:)

Good luck with that folks. I found in one of my tanks (High light, co2) it just doesn't grow much, and in another(medium light, co2) it grows like mad. It collects every particle of dirt in the tank, and just ends up looking messy. For me, it's a plant to avoid.

Hey Pato,

I think 20 bucks is a rip off. Why not check with an online mail order company like aquabotonics to see if they can ship to Mexico.

Brian

deffinitly check out online retailers! $20 for a plant is bizarre!

I didn't find any java-moss there, but LiveAquaria I have heard good things about.

The other day I saw some Java fern at petsmart for $8.99 (Canadian), but they looked half dead. Big Al's in town had them for $4.99, that's about $3.50 US?, much better looking too.

Im not sure whats up with the Java moss. Ive been trying to find some in the Hamilton Ont. area but none of the lfs have it and the only 2 online sellers that advertised it one was out of stock and the other doubled their price in the last week. (to almost 10 CDN$)
I dont know either supplier so Im hesitant to try them though.

I've been looking for java moss for months. Can't find it anywhere around Richmond VA. The woman at the lfs that I trust the most was equally perplexed and added "it's not like it's hard to grow." The other LFS that I frequent said they have it consistently on order, it's just not available. Last i checked though, aquabotanics webpage said they had it in stock. I prefer getting my hands on the real deal, but I'm getting tempted. I have a rock that simply *needs* java moss.

Thank you all, you make things so easy...
Now, any recommendations for it to thrive?

Oh and by the way, is it safe to purchase online? I mean its gonna travel to mexico... 2, maybe 3 days??

Back
Top Bottom