Java Moss and Java Fern Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got some java moss and tied fairly evenly to a fist sized rock.
I also got a small java fern, only 4 larger leaves, and tied it to a piece of drift wood.

Are these techniques the best to use or could I do better?
How long does it take each respective plant to fully attach to whatever I have it tied to?

There isn't really a better way, because different ways work better or worst, depending on the conditions of the tank.

I have some java moss attach to a rock in the matter of days, i've also tried attaching javamoss to a rock and it ended up taking months. Sometimes it takes weeks. It just depends really, on how fast it grows really, and how you tie it, and how evenly and thickness/thinness wise you put it on the object.

So really, all you can do is like every week, untie your tie, kind of dip it in the water and pull out, and if it falls off, or kind of falls off, ect. Then retie it and let it continue growing. If it stays pretty strongly, then you don't need to tie it.

With javamoss though, if you want a thick dense piece, you'll need to continue to retie it while it grows. I normally just trim mine, because I don't want to mess with retieing. If you retie though, it's worth it. I only retied one of my rocks, and I would deff. suggest it to anyone.

Hope that helps.

It took my ferns about a month to firmly attach to driftwood. I would imagine a rock would take longer. As for the moss, it still has not attached after 2+ months tied to the wood.

Cool so basically there isn't a set time on the moss just keep an eye on it. What about the fern?

Ferns basically the same Werner, since both have to grow at their own rates depending on the conditions of the tank. Faster they grow, faster they attach. Both of those plants are generally slow growers, so it might take anywhere from 1 week - couple of months for both of them to attach.

Alright sounds good I'm not to worried about it, it isn't to obvious that they are tied down. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom