Java Moss as a carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Just about to set up a new 170L (40gal) tank and am getting excited about prospects for plants. Since i'm still quite new but like the idea of having a carpet, or plants atop the substrate simulating a 'grass' look, i want to know other peoples' successes or otherwise using Java Moss for this.

I plan on using dark small pebble gravel; and can anyone recommend a substrate/fert that is as cheap as possible and dark in colour that's available in Australia?

Is mesh good to use so the moss creeps through it? Any other ideas or suggestions to get a fast growing carpet would be great! Thanks.

I don't think java moss would work. All the crap on the bottom of the tank would get stuck in and under it. It would come up when vacuumed. Most carpeting plants need high lighting and co2.

I got cheap gravel from bunnings in the landscaping section. I don't remember how much it was but it was heaps cheaper then my LFS.

Look up aquagreen in the NT. They have a good selection of native plants, fish, inverts, non native plants and fertilizers called dinosaur spit, pee and dung (good stuff!).

I have dwarf baby tears in a 10g with a T8 15w 18000k bulb, in eco-complete with root tabs, no co2, and it's growing fairly well. Slowly, but growing. Everything I've read about them says they need high light and co2. Maybe mine is just an anomaly? I also have dwarf baby tears in my 20g with 4x18w T5ho with a DIY co2 kit and root tabs and it's green, but haven't really seen growth. It's been a couple weeks now too so idk.

Mumma is right though, java moss wouldn't make a good carpet at all, even with a mesh frame holding it down.

hmmph. yeah fair enough there. sad to say you sound spot on with that it would get way too messy. drawing board again for me. thanks guys.

How about dwarf sagittaria? I was forced to have a carpet of grass. A new plant comes out every two days. I run a two t5 ho fixture with no co2. It does well in lower light also.

I tried to use java moss as a carpet in my 10g and it was a god awful nightmare. I'd look into the dwarf sag IMO.

Back
Top Bottom