Java moss getting brownish Algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i've tried to research for this stuff and for the life of my cannot find any info of getting rid of this brownish algae on my java moss.

I know that getting some dwarf shrimp would take care of it but i'm not buying my RCS stock till janurary,

So the question is does anyone have any experience with this problem and know how to solve it?

I was thinking about lowering the temp from 80F to 75F, I was also thinking about letting it float instead of having it tied down to the driftwood.

Right now I got 2x 15W fluorecent bulbs on there.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Moss will go brown in spots before sending new fronds. If its diatoms on a new tank: Otos! But if its trapped dirt, a new trick I found by happy accident is to drop a small tweezer pinch of live bloodworms onto attached moss while the fish are distracted in other parts of the tank. The bloodworms will dig in. Then a smart fish (or more) will find them and dig them out, fluffing the dirt out for you.

Moss will go brown in spots before sending new fronds. If its diatoms on a new tank: Otos! But if its trapped dirt, a new trick I found by happy accident is to drop a small tweezer pinch of live bloodworms onto attached moss while the fish are distracted in other parts of the tank. The bloodworms will dig in. Then a smart fish (or more) will find them and dig them out, fluffing the dirt out for you.

It does sound like that dirt, I can rub it off myself but it's so much work and it comes back, it's not diatoms cuz I got 2 ottos in there and they took care of that problem, I don't really have live bloodworms on hand and can't really get any. :(

Got any other suggestions? lol

I have that problem now as well. The RCS seem to do an ok job at it, I have 15 in my 55 at the moment. I'm adding more in the future for that reason alone. They seem to look for food in the brown area and, pick it up, and toss it overboard to the substrate if it isn't edible. Let me know if you figure anything else out.

I have that problem now as well. The RCS seem to do an ok job at it, I have 15 in my 55 at the moment. I'm adding more in the future for that reason alone. They seem to look for food in the brown area and, pick it up, and toss it overboard to the substrate if it isn't edible. Let me know if you figure anything else out.
Yeah i'm thinking they are just dirty, maybe I can get some ghost shrimp till my cherries come in, hopefully they can just shift the dirty stuff off.

Back
Top Bottom