Java Moss or Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriecan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me whether this green on my lava and lace rock is Java Moss or algae. I had Java Moss when I started the tank, but I took it out because it was turning my cichlid rocks an ugly green. I put Nutrafin Plant Gro in when I first planted the tank. Then I took the Java Moss out. MY other plants are growing great, but the alga/java moss is taking over. Is there anything I can do to contain it?

image-3080766777.jpg

image-3401430422.jpg

image-4271308284.jpg

I don't know why they are upside down. I'll try with different pics

Still upside down. Thanks for the comment Cichlidlife. Can I contain it without hurting the other plants?

Java moss is darker and has long, loose strands. This appears to be algae. Usually, algae grows when there is too much light. How long do you keep your lights on each day? Is your tank close to a window?

Sometimes, decreasing the light will kill off the algae, or you can remove the itms from the tank, soak them in a mild bleach solution and scrub them clean. I would avoid chemical algae removers. If you soak the items in bleach, be sure to rince them thoroughly since chlorine from the bleach can be harmful to the fish and the bacteria in the tank.

Good luck! :fish2:

Thanks Retired AF. The tank's in a very high light area. I have two skylights in my office. It's really pretty now, but I'm worried that it's going to take over the tank. I'll definitely try what you suggested. Thanks again!

Now to figure out why the site is flipping my pictures!

.... The tank's in a very high light area. I have two skylights in my office. It's really pretty now, but I'm worried that it's going to take over the tank...

You are very welcome.

Direct sunlight can definately cause this. Let me also recommend moving the tank to a less bright area, otherwise this will be a constant issue. Another option is to cover the sides and back with something to block the light. Unfortunately, this defeats the purpose of the aquarium which is to be visible so you can enjoy it.

I know how you feel. It can look nice at this point, but I assure you that it will get out of control. Believe me, I've been there. :)

:fish2:

IMO a thin algae growth on rocks looks good and keeps things looking natural. To keep it from overrunning your tank you could always get some small algae eaters like red cherry shrimp, that have great color and are interesting to watch

definitely looks like algae from too much light. maybe an otto or 2 could help you out.

you dont really want more than 8 hours of light on a tank, and if its really bright, you might have issues with even 8 hours. try cutting down to 6 and see if it cuts back.

with one of my tanks, I can litterally grow, or kill this stuff, just by the amount of time i leave the lights on. I think a suggested way to get rid of it all (if it gets to be too much) is to do a complete tank blackout for 72 hours.

Back
Top Bottom