Java Moss Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some questions:

- What is the best way to propagate Java Moss??
Right now I'm doing a sort of experiment. I have some moss in a little plastic container w/ ~1cm of water in it, directly under a window. Will this grow better than the stuff in my tank?

- What is better for propagation: Submersed (underwater) or Emersed (out of water) (Correct me if I'm wrong on the terminology there.)
I heard out of water it grows faster. How do I go about doing that?

- How long does it take Java Moss to root on:
Wood
Rocks
Substrate (? Is that possible w/ eco-complete ?)

- General Moss tips/facts/anecdotes are encouraged!

TIA!

Well, I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll see what I can do.

Growth rate depends on ideal water and ideal light. Java moss is a moderate light plant, so you might experiment with windows on diffrent sides of the house. For nutrients, either a fertilizer solution, or the nasty, dirty water you siphon off the bottom when you clean your tank should work.

Emersed means partly in the water and partly out. Usually the roots are wet and the majority of the stem is not, but that doesn't really apply to Java Moss. The main thing to keep in mind with emersed plants is humidity. Cover the container well and/or mist regularly.

I have rooted moss on both wood and rock, but not substrate. I am also right now working on a mat grown between two pieces of plastic canvas (from the craft store). For wood and rocks, just tie down a mat of moss, or use a net for looser pieces. I think I left them a month or so, I didn't really test it regularly to see exactly when they rooted. If you use an unobtrusive color of netting/string, you can just leave it on there and let the moss cover it too.

Yeah, I asked a similar question about Java Moss as I am trying to seed some before I put it into my Goldfish barrel.

Does Java Moss sound like a Spanish Coffee Shop to anyone else? :D

I heard old tank water from a fertilized tank works well when growing out moss in cups and such. From what I understand it really isn't a nutrient hog like some other plants. I've grown it in both fertilized and unfertilized tanks, definite growth difference but it still grows in the unferted tank.

Over on APC there is a sub-forum for growing plants emersed. You should check out some of their set ups. I'll be trying something like that with a spare 10g or a "tank" I build in my dad's green house when the weather is nicer.

Would I be able to place a root tab of sorts on the cub, and possibly have it grow onto that?? I have these fertilizer cone things... They dont disintegrate very easily

jbarr said:
Would I be able to place a root tab of sorts on the cub, and possibly have it grow onto that?? I have these fertilizer cone things... They dont disintegrate very easily
What is the labeled use for the cone? Some of the fertilizer spikes intended for land plants are better than others for aquatic use. I'd guess though that the cone will disolve faster than the moss can attach to it, so you'll end up just letting it disolve in the water for fertilization.

I think moss only takes nutrients out of the water column, it doesn't really grow roots.

If you've got enough moss to play with, you can always put out a bunch of cups and experiment. No ferts in one, dirty fish water in another, the cone in a third...

Hmm.. not too sure about Java Moss. Somehow it refuse to grow well in my tank even though the rest of the plants are doing great, even my christmas moss is growly very fast.

The few things I noted is that it does better in my moderate light tank than my high light tank with co2.

If I am not wrong, mosses don't grow roots. Although Java Moss do attach to rocks, wood, etc. The best way is to tie them down with thin fishing line and let them slowly attached to the rock or wood surface you are using.

Try low to moderate light instead of high light near the window. Lastly, don't really bother to put fertilizer for mosses. They use so little that even a partial dose could be too much. If you are planting them in a separate tank or container, I do suggest you use water from your cycled tanks. At least the water will be more suitable and already have some amount of nutrients/bacteria in the water to be used by the moss.

I may be wrong in some aspect, but I couldn't really find anything else better from all the forums and plant articles I have read so far. :D

OK I'm doing in an experiment. Three containers of a very small amount of moss.
Two containers in the loft under a skylight, one with a little chunk of ferts. One container next to a 75W lamp (normal bulb)/6 hrs a day in my room. I'm keeping a photolog and I'll post results when they are noticeable

I bought some java moss to help with the higher nitrate levels in my tank. I tried tying it to a rock, but some of it got loose and stuck to my filter intake so I took the loose pieces and put them in a clear glass pitcher of tank water with a rock, hoping that over time, it would eventually attatch itself and I would put that in the tank later. Well, a week has gone by and the moss in the pitcher seems to be doing better than the moss I left in the tank. The moss in the tank is turning kinda brown and thinning out like it's not very happy being there. That strikes me as kinda odd, when I Googled java moss, most folks found it easy to grow under many various conditions. I thought I would too since my tank has plenty for the moss to eat. Maybe it's just me....

Try using a hair net to tie down the moss if string isn't cutting it.

I usually only find Java Moss rotting like that if I've got the clumps too thick. The bottom layers will get mushy and die. Spread the moss out thinly before tying down.

I've learned Java Moss and most mosses (I think) prefer cooler temperatures.. I have also read as well as experienced my moss browning out due to both 'over-clumping' and high temperatures.

Since the creation of this topic, I have bought 2 clumps of java moss, and began many more 'experiments', haha. I was thinking of logging the emersed-rock set up described below, but who knows.
Other containters include:
-Emergant growth; 1cm of water, flat rocks on bottom of container with ~2mm above water lvl, cover w/ plastic wrap. Placed in skylight, which recieves direct sunlight.
-Little jar; small glass preserves jar, submersed w/ small driftwood. cover plastic wrap, windowsill.
-The holding tub; 2.5gal w/ 10w bulb above. I don't know where else to put it all!

Java moss grows very slowly. I won't forget to post pictures, but it may be a while :lol:

I can't wait til summer! I can tell I'll be attempting to cultivate java moss on anything that can retain water! Namely this neat little fountain, it is ceramic and very porous.

Back
Top Bottom