Java Moss Wall - istallation detail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpapakon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all this is my first post in the forum.
I am ready to give a try at a java moss wall, but I need your input.
My tank has a 30 gallon capacity - 30 inch width. I only have guppies in the aquarium and an apple snail. It is planted and I use an aquaball 2210 internal filter and a jaeger 100watt thermostat.
The wall will cover prety much the 2/3 of the back glass, leaving 1/3 for filter and thermostat.
SInce guppies are tiny I do not want to create any traps for them. So I was wondering if there are any easy ways to fill the gap between the screen edges and the back glass. On the bottom I will insert the screen in the sand so I guess the sides are the ones that are tricky.

I'm trying to think of something... only thing that comes to mind is to silicone it down the sides. That would make it semi-permanent so removing it to do trimmings will be hard. I was thinking of doing one in my 10g but now I'm not sure, my loaches would probably love to slither behind the wall. Only thing I could think of other than silicone would be to silicone a piece of clear lexan or something similar to it so that it angles towards the glass and sits flush with it.

The way I was planning on doing mine was to use some eggcrate or something similar. I planned on mounting it flush to the glass to avoid getting food and the like stuck behind it.

I use tons of suction cups, silicone em to the wall material( I use light fixture grids), I tore mine out to move and sold my moss off but it was in a guppy only tank with no trapped gups, helps the fry hide and the MTS take care of any food that got behind there.

I am planning to do this in my 40g tank
you could try and stuff some filter foam into the sides that would probably work (not that I would know..)
What size are the gaps inbetween your mesh?

maybe use the notebook divider tabs like they use when dividing a tank for betta and place the eggcrate completely across the back wall but only place the moss where you want it? Not sure if that is feasible or not.

what about sanding the back of the tank, then using some driftwood to lean the java moss onto the glass, and letting it grow....

Back
Top Bottom