jave fern question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a pretty healthy one growing in my tank atm. is it possible to somehow split it into 2 different plants and have them grow seperatly?

I did that with my ozelot sword and they continued to grow but never tried it with Java fern

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the leaves brown they start to form spores that in turn create new plants and then separate from the mother plant my java fern is three months old and I've had two new plants separate and two more are forming on other browning leaves

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the leaves brown they start to form spores that in turn create new plants and then separate from the mother plant my java fern is three months old and I've had two new plants separate and two more are forming on other browning leaves

ok so if i just let it grow i may get other plants

Atxpunx said:

I have heard of this but it doesn't have the same time frame as other plants. My ozelot swords were suppose to do this but never did. I have had them for about 4 months or more. My method was splitting them and they are all 3 turning out great. These 3 originated from one plant. See.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110916_003922.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110916_003922.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
I forgot about my plant and got other plants :). Patience is key dividing the rhizome should work also but expect a short healing mode. I was looking at my plant after posting on ur thread and I have a small eight leaf plantlet growing from roots adventitiously is what they call it. Good luck with your plight.

Atxpunx said:
I forgot about my plant and got other plants :). Patience is key dividing the rhizome should work also but expect a short healing mode. I was looking at my plant after posting on ur thread and I have a small eight leaf plantlet growing from roots adventitiously is what they call it. Good luck with your plight.

I agree. Waiting for it too shoot up another plant takes too long. I favorite splitting the plant.

Back
Top Bottom