Jen's Fluval Edge Resurrection?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenatron

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Aren't I obnoxious?! This is like my 3rd Fluval Edge thread! Anyway, round 2!
I had been toying around with the idea of setting up a planted tank but I was still on the fence. Then Corey checked Franks Aquarium's Nano-fish section. He finally got in new stock. :crazyeyes: I had given up on the Edge because he didn't have the fish I wanted for a while. Well, now he has them in, and more. So now I can't resist.

Here's what the Edge looks like:
img_1286029_0_69707ee71565f01f9917b59919554521.jpg

It's 6 gallons. It has a nice footprint IMO.
It came with an Aquaclear 20 and some nasty halogen bulbs. The halogens have been replaced with 2 2.1 watt MR11 led bulbs. (I think this picture shows halogens ^)
I've got a 50/50 10w (Maybe?) coralife that I can barely fit in the stock hood as well if need be. I'm planning on having it low-maintenance planted, but that won't happen until after I move (June). For stocking: some tiny fishies and some shrimp.

I've got some decisions to make quickly so I can start cycling so I can order before they all go out of stock again.

Anyway, I think I'm forreal this time! :)

Fort maybe you can answer some of my substrate questions, pretty please?
I've got 3 options: gravel, sand, and eco-complete.
I'm thinking some sort of lower-light carpet like Marsilea minuta (if I can find it!), some sort of anubias, maybe swords. I was considering dwarf hair grass but trimming it doesn't sound so appealing with the small opening of the Edge.
Would gravel really limit my options? Would I be fine with just sand, rather than a specialty substrate like eco-complete?

hmm, I would not go with gravel if you want a carpet effect of any kind.

Sand would do ok. For that size tank, I would spring for specialty substrate like eco or aquasoil.

Take a look at anubias nana petite for your anubias species. It is an awesome low light plant for a small tank. It can be expensive as it is a little rarer than most, and it is a slow grower, but looks great.

I've heard that because of the iron in eco-complete it can stick to algae magnets. With the Edge you must use an algae magnet to at least get the air bubbles from the top. Do you think it will be an issue? :/

Atta girl ! !

I'm also following. These are such a nice small tanks, I think that your idea of planted for small fish and shrimp is great and will look nice.
:p

hmmm, not sure. I never had that issue with eco, but it has been a long while since I used it. I use aquasoil exclusively now. It seems pretty far fetched that the minute amount of chelated iron in the soil would pose much of an issue with an algae magnet, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Haters gon' hate. :cool:

Edit: I forgot to say thank you Fort! :)

{Disclaimer: Before you get mad assuming I'm quitting again, I'm not! Don't worry! :)}
So, I've been sitting here looking at an empty Edge for a couple of days and I've been discouraging myself. :/ I can't bring myself to spend $9/fish (that's averaging in shipping). Long story short I think I'm going to get a small school of neon tetras. The footprint is about the same as a 10g, the height is just shorter.
I just kept sitting there guilting myself over spending that much money when I'm probably going to need all this money I've spent on fish later in college.
So, still doing the Edge, still planting it, still getting some shrimp, just getting neons instead. :/ Sorry if that was the cool part of this build! :(

neons are cool. Just take your time with it. Dont get discouraged. Are you still looking at June before making any real progress with the tank (ie planting)? I'm kind of anxious to see this progress!

I'm not sure. How complicated do you think it would be to move? I mean, I know how I'm going to move my SW tank, but how do you move a planted tank?
I was planning on draining the water down to the substrate; would that mean i would have to rip all the plants out? Or would it be okay as long as the roots were still wet?

Assuming sand would be fine for most low light/maintenance plants..
Poll: black sand or white sand?
Here's how it looked with white sand: (It won't be in front of a black wall ;))
img_1294600_0_354618f9925b3d34b7f4a9897ba77b66.jpg

Moving it won't be all that complicated. IMO it would be easiest to just pull all the plants and put them in wet newspaper then move the tank keeping the substrate and filter media wet.

As far as the substrate, I'm kind of in agreement with fort. I think for a small tank like that, eco complete would be a good choice. While it's not necessary, I think it would add some advantages.

Well poop. Now both of you have shunned sand.. And Corey's all "you're saving money on the fish, so why not?!" :/
If my local Petco has it on sale (It's currently on sale on-line) I guess I will. I'm so susceptible to peer pressure!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using PFS, its actually all I use... but when you're looking at around $10 for the PFS vs what? $15 for the eco, it just seems more reasonable. Now, if you had a bigger tank, I'm not so sure I'd recommend it. I can't imagine buying enough for my 40, much less my 125!

So.. I ordered the eco complete (no one in my area carries it), and the impeller and impeller shaft *grumble grumble grumble*. Cost around $40.
Since I've been all OMG-SPENDING-SO-MUCH-MONEY, I thought I should put a running total on both my builds, to kind of bring it into perspective for myself, and for people who are curious. Some of these are estimates as it's been a few months..

Edge: $106 *shiver*
MR-11 (LED bulbs): $30
Mag float: $10
Heater:$15
Thermometer: $10
Eco-complete: $24
-------
Total: $195

I didn't include the impeller and shaft because it wasn't the Edges fault. I used the same sand in the Edge and that AC didn't break. I included it in the total for the Mr. Aqua.

I'll be sure to post pics when the stuff comes in.

Back
Top Bottom