Joey's 10 plant/RCS build log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I wound up getting everything I needed figured out and whatnot, so I started with the 10g! My plans are to do a low tech build for now, and work my way up the ranks to a high tech build.

So today I set the tank up. I put together my modded stock light hood for now with a 14watt CF spiral bulb, which I'm only using to test the fixture out while I'm waiting for my 40w 6500k bulbs to come. I took all my tank water from my other established tank, and then took the prefilters out and threw them in this 10g for some instant cycle action! I'm aiming for 3 WPG right now.

FTS: Waiting for the dust to clear! :silly:
img_1165303_0_30054b9702730b39eb5e5a38e2b12e42.jpg

img_1165303_1_83557c96a16b5b7e663cf9ed958ef1c8.jpg

I ordered a 50w Stealth Pro, AC20, the AQ Master Test kit, and a Coralife digital thermometer from Big Als, they definitely have better prices than the LFS and Big Als is right across the Canadian border, so I should have them tomorrow or Wednesday!

I have a few plants on order for m 10g and 75g tanks. Being shipped right now is my Xmas Moss, Weeping Moss and Java Ferns. I'm going to order java moss next week after I get paid along with the RCS!

Does anyone have any plant suggestions? I'm hoping for an instant cycle on this tank with the prefilters from the 75g that havent been touched for about a year now. Any comments?

I'm also looking for suggestions for a carpet plant. I'm going to pick up some slate this week and add some elevation to the rear left of the tank.

Thanks for looking!

-Joey

For a low-tech tank, Marsilea Quadrifolia is an awesome carpeting plant.

Hey everyone!
Bringing this thread back up from the dead as I want to get the ball rolling here. The tank has been sitting there running for the past year as I wound up getting distracted from the goal, and now it's time I return!

Current setup:
10g
AC20
27w 5500k CCFL bulb
50w Stealth Pro
2" of EcoComplete

Tank is cycled and I'm ready to go. The first objective is to get the thing planted. Given that I'm at about 1.5wpg right now due to the lack of a reflector in the hood, what plant options do I have? I'm not too keen on aquascaping and tank design, so any advice is appreciated. I'd love some groundcover, some mid-ground and background action going on.

Also, would Otos be suitable tankmates for the RCS? If so, how many should I get?

Thanks for the help!

Hey in answer to Otos.. Yes they get on with RCS just fine. They also like to stick in groups so 3+ is recomended. and probs just stick with 3.

Subscribed! I also have a 10G RCS tank running. One you get highlight, I would definitely get some water sprite!!! It looks awesome in a shrimp tank, trust me:) and for the ottos, I have 2 of them in my shrimp tank and they are absolutely harmless. I would probably get 2 because a 10G just dosent produce enough algea for three, again it's just MHO:)

Joey2619 said:
Hey everyone!
Bringing this thread back up from the dead as I want to get the ball rolling here. The tank has been sitting there running for the past year as I wound up getting distracted from the goal, and now it's time I return!

Current setup:
10g
AC20
27w 5500k CCFL bulb
50w Stealth Pro
2" of EcoComplete

Tank is cycled and I'm ready to go. The first objective is to get the thing planted. Given that I'm at about 1.5wpg right now due to the lack of a reflector in the hood, what plant options do I have? I'm not too keen on aquascaping and tank design, so any advice is appreciated. I'd love some groundcover, some mid-ground and background action going on.

Also, would Otos be suitable tankmates for the RCS? If so, how many should I get?

Thanks for the help!

You can look at my profile pics for my tank pics.

I use :
Crypts
Mosses
Anubias
Bolbitis
Bacopa
Ludwigia
Dwarf water Lily

Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated
C. Wendti "Mi Oya", bronze , green, etc
C. Balansae
C. Parva ??
C. lucens
Dwarf chain sword
Cabomba "red"

I am going to try Staurogyne as ground cover. Most low ground covers like high light.

Otos are fab. I have 2 in my Shrimp tank.

Awesome I'm starting a 10 gallon planted tank too finished the planting and got 5 neon tetras 3 corys I'm planning to get a betta any other fish I can get?

I went to my local LFS Country Critters last night and they didn't have much of a selection of plants. I'm going to try two Petcos tonight on my way home from work and see if anything catches my eye. I've decided that I'm going to go with a DIY CO2 system, and start building a hood for my tank soon that can house two CCFL bulbs and an night LED setup. Once I get some flora in the tank, I will order RCS and pick up Otos locally and get the ball on the road. I'd like to be able to order the RCS this weekend so I can receive delivery by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Okay, I ordered some blue 1w LEDs, I will use those for the night lights and start the hood build when they come. I'm going to try to incorporate two 5500k 27w CCFLs in the hood as well. I'd like to get anywhere from 3-4wpg

I have a question pertaining to CO2, should I have one 2 liter bottle, or two 2 liter bottles producing CO2. Would two bottles be too much for a 10g tank?

Here is a current snapshot of the tank...
img_1833413_0_80258dc8c89e196129d4203a955322c1.jpg

Like an idiot, I split up the bunches of plants. I have wisteria in the back left and right corners, I'm going to put all the wisteria stems in the back left corner and put all the ludwigia in the back right corner. In the center I kept the bacopa caroliniana together. I'm not sure what the big leafy white accented plant is, does anyone know what that plant is? I also picked up some Micro Sword and split it. I got all these plants on impulse at Petco last night.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? What's the cheapest place online to get Dwarf baby tears? I'm currently looking at AZ Gardens right now, but cheaper places would be awesome!

I definitely need aquascaping and plant suggestions, keep them coming! Also, what can I put in the filter to polish the water? After moving plants around, the tank is cloudy for at least 6 hours.

I don't believe the large plant in the background is a fully aquatic..have seen it on the forum before&can't remember the name though..if I'm correct,soon it will begin to die.. I like all your plant selections,some anubias on a small piece of dw would look great in there...

I don't know of any cheap places to get HC (Baby Dwarf Tears) in America. However after looking for some myself online and deciding it would be too expencive to buy, due to shipping. I then went into my LFS and asked if the could get it in. Turns out they could and it cost me £4. Where as online it would have about £10 for one plant including shipping.

Some driftwood/rocks would look great in your tank!

I noticed a bit of melting on my new plants this morning, I'm going to have to hurry and drink down a 2L bottle of soda to get the co2 moving. What type of yeast should I get and how much yeast and sugar?

I definitely need to pick up some driftwood soon.

The more sugar, the longer the yeast produces CO2, right?

Just purchased a 500ml bottle of Flourish and a glass CO2 diffuser from ebay. I'll have to use a chopstick in the meantime.

I'm not to sure what ratios effect how long it lasts sorry.

I still want/need to get a proper CO2 diffuser! Post pictures up and let us know how it is when you get it =)

I'll definitely report on it and take pics. Unfortunately it's coming from Hong Kong, so I'll have to wait about two weeks or so, but the chopstick should last at least that long.

Unfortunately I'll be at school for the next three days so I won't be home to do anything with the tank, but that's okay, I should have the Flourish when I walk back in the door Thursday night.

Things to do:
Buy air tube
Setup CO2
Add a second 27w bulb.
Make a new light fixture
Buy shrimp

Will I be fine on just Flourish, CO2 and proper lighting or will I need to dive into dry ferts as well?

Back
Top Bottom