Jordanella Floridae demolishes duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceratophyllum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If anyone wants to get rid of ALL their duckweed, put these guys in your tank. They eat it like flake food. There's a lot of duckweed growing in Florida so I guess they're familiar with it.

Mine eat it also but for the most part other plants go first. Microsword, e. tenellus gobbled up rather quickly. Dwarf sag and corcksrew val missing chunks at times but no worse for the wear and finally they keep the wisteria trimmed and in check. They haven't bothered my other plants.

I didn't mean to imply they ONLY ate duckweed. If you want to grow anything other than tough/bad tasting(?) plants like cryptocoryne, anubias, java fern, these little guys will probably demolish your plants.

Mine eat hairy green algae, duckweed, wisteria, something called "Aluminum Plant", and anacharis. Their favorites seem to be duckweed and anacharis. They won't touch ceratophyllum, which does look pretty thorny if you're an inch long.

I didn't think you were trying to say only duckweed. Just letting others know what my American-flag Fish like to eat and possibly what others would eat if introduced into a tank. The more info on a fish the better before you add it to the tank. My fish seem to always prefer algae first but quickly turn to plants if not available (two competing aspects plants and keeping algae). I also see that my male displays his readiness and being the king of the tank by tanking large bites from various plants. He doesn't eat it just takes a large bite and spits it out. Always when with a female. I just found that duckweed was lower on the totem pole for my quartet.

I've never had a problem with duckweed except not being able to keep any of it in my tanks. It got eaten by gouramis, congo tetras, applesnails, and I'm sure I'm missing one. Just about every fish took a bite out of it. I even bought a whole pound of the stuff and have just 10 pieces left. The snails sit on the sides of the tank at the top, make funnels with their foot, and suck the duckweed down like candy. It's the only plant I've ever had get eaten aside from the occasional munching on the irrestible dwarf lilly. I never understand how anyone has problems with duckweed when I have so much trouble just keeping it from getting eaten by everything in the tank.

My Angels never touched my plants until recently. They completely demolished two large clumps of hornwort. Later, I got 6 nice fully mature cabomba's. They demolished them in about 2 days. :(

Back
Top Bottom