Just a little FYI about serpaes and stargrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've discovered (the hard way) that serpae tetras LOVE stargrass. I had some in my 40 gal with 22 serpae tetras and it had not been doing to good. I noticed it looked like it had been eaten on and figured it was the serpaes. I took some from another tank that was doing good and put it in friday. Today it looks like a weedeater has run through it!

:? Now which do I remove? The serpaes or the stargrass? :lol:

I'll just remove the stargrass I guess.

Interesting. When I did have stargrass, my serpaes didn't touch it. My sailfin pleco however thought laying on it was comfy. :shock:

In my case, I had to ditch the stargrass. :(

My sailfin pleco however thought laying on it was comfy.

Yeah, that's their thing, I have some parva that is decimated by him, he also tends to push his nose into other plants to uproot them.

I've never noticed my serpaes go after any plants.

I have never noticed my Serpae tetras feasting on my stargrass. Actually, since planting it several weeks ago, it has actually started to thrive recently.

Maybe my serpaes are lacking something nutrient wise. They don't bother any other plant in the tank.

I have caught my turquoise rainbows snacking on the stargrass as well, although they don't do it frequently enough to destroy the plant. It must taste good....anyone up to try some stargrass salad??

:oops: In defense of sepaes I have discovered that if properly fed they will leave stargrass alone. I guess I was being a little stingy with the food. Now I feed them several different types of food including algae waffers and so far my stargrass is growing fine. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom