Just a question about eco-complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, recently I decided that I would like to start a planted tank, in one of my already established aquariums. I ordered proper lighting a T5HO fixture, and bought some Eco-complete for the substrate, I received my substrate and lighting today, I have not purchased plants for my aquarium yet, as I live in Canada, and i'm having a hard problem finding quality here, seeing as i'm new to the hobby. I was just wondering, Would it be okay to use this substrate for a few days before I purchase plants?

Yes it is fine to use the substrate for a few days before adding plants.
I also live in Canada, why is it hard to get quality plants for you?

Well the only store around me really is petsmart, and the plants didn't look too lively when I went there, I was looking for some online shops within Canada, but i haven't had much luck.

Yes I also haven't found any source online for plants here. Is there not a Big Als pet store close to where you live? That is where I get my majority of plants from, not the greatest but it's the best around where I live. Is there any locally owned LFS's around your area? They usually carry some better looking and more healthy plants.

I have not checked to see if there is a big als, but I definitely will now. :) Hopefully the selection is a little more promising then Petsmart.

Petsmart will usually carry the typical Amazon swords, java fern, java moss, and maybe rotala's and vals. But like you said probably not in very good shape.

your best best is to get plants from other hobbyists. from conversations i have had with other people who live in canada, that's what they do. just a thought.

I am having the same problem in Canada, hopefully I can find someone on this forum that sells plants in Canada as I would much rather support one of the helpful members of this site.

I've found "fish club girl"on aquabid.com
Also aquariumplantscanada.com opening spring 2012! Really looking forward to this (website looks promising)

Aquabid.com look for people under plant category with Canadian flags next to their names they will ship quality plants to you great sellers. Hope this helps.

I had never heard of aquabid before. Thank you for this info, can't wait to order something.

Speaking of Petsmart and plants, all my local stores recently started carrying a new brand of plants with about 7 different species. They are in small 6x8 inch white packages with clear plastic in the middle. I picked up some Microsword, Green Cryptocoryne (Cryptocoryne wendtii) , and dwarf hair grass. All of it is growing extremely well.

They are so much better than the usual stock plants they sell.

Back
Top Bottom