just about to setup my co2 system but am i missing anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Passatryde

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i have my tank (hopefully will be filling it tomorrow) my diffuser/bubble counter/check valve, tubing, pressure regulator / meter thing. I konw i read that i need a timer - but i dont know why? how do i utilize the timer? is that it? oh yeah and i also have the little glass thing that i put the fluid in to check the color to make sure i'm not putting too much/little co2 in (i'm sorry but my brain is SO tired tonight i just cant think of the right terminology):facepalm:

Just learning about pressurized co2 myself, but I believe the timer is for the solenoid valve that is supposed to be connected to the pressure regulator.

Yup as Atxpunx mentioned, the timer is for the solenoid valve. Basically the plants can only use co2 during photosynthesis when the lights are on. You set it to shut your co2 off at night when the plants produce o2.

I'm new to co2 as well and will investing in a pressurized system soon. I'm using DIY right now.

Oh and for the drop checker that indicates the amount of pH and co2 you have going on, not sure if you already know this, I've learned that you shouldn't mix your tank water with the indicator solution. The instructions that came with my DC said to use tank water but that's outdated and using 4 dKH reference solution will give you a more accurate reading.

You can either mix your own 4 dKH (with distilled water and sodium bicarbonate) which I find it hard to do (or I'm just lazy rather), or you can buy it already made on ebay (which I did).

Here's a link I found if you want to make your own:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42429

And the ebay seller I bought the 4 dKH from:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230775438930&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=33480872378

Brian_Nano12g said:
Yup as Atxpunx mentioned, the timer is for the solenoid valve. Basically the plants can only use co2 during photosynthesis when the lights are on. You set it to shut your co2 off at night when the plants produce o2.

I'm new to co2 as well and will investing in a pressurized system soon. I'm using DIY right now.

Oh and for the drop checker that indicates the amount of pH and co2 you have going on, not sure if you already know this, I've learned that you shouldn't mix your tank water with the indicator solution. The instructions that came with my DC said to use tank water but that's outdated and using 4 dKH reference solution will give you a more accurate reading.

You can either mix your own 4 dKH (with distilled water and sodium bicarbonate) which I find it hard to do (or I'm just lazy rather), or you can buy it already made on ebay (which I did).

Here's a link I found if you want to make your own:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42429

And the ebay seller I bought the 4 dKH from:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230775438930&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=33480872378

The dc measures both ph and co2? Im going to have to look at mine and see exactly how that thing works....

Awesome about the timer...that seems easy enough. or i could even just connect it to the outlet that my lights are connected to right? I turn them on via a light switch

Yeah the DC does. With the 4 dKH solution, when the color is green inside the DC, (according to my color coded chart that came with my DC), I have a pH around 6.8 which says its normal at approx. 30ppm of co2..if it gets yellow, its too much co2 and the pH is around 6. I believe i read somewhere that's about 60 ppm of co2. That would be dangerous to your fish.

As for the light switch and solenoid connected to the same outlet, i suppose it would work but a timer allows you to pretty much set it and forget it. You can fine tune it that way to get the proper balance of co2 and lighting. I've never done it, so I'm just speculating. Remember, I'm still in the dark ages with my DIY setup. I'm basing my answers on what I've read and a bit of logic.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Yeah the DC does. With the 4 dKH solution, when the color is green inside the DC, (according to my color coded chart that came with my DC), I have a pH around 6.8 which says its normal at approx. 30ppm of co2..if it gets yellow, its too much co2 and the pH is around 6. I believe i read somewhere that's about 60 ppm of co2. That would be dangerous to your fish.

As for the light switch and solenoid connected to the same outlet, i suppose it would work but a timer allows you to pretty much set it and forget it. You can fine tune it that way to get the proper balance of co2 and lighting. I've never done it, so I'm just speculating. Remember, I'm still in the dark ages with my DIY setup. I'm basing my answers on what I've read and a bit of logic.

So my drop checker came with 4dkh fluid but it's clear....not blue and the instructions say something about ph fluid....is the just like the fluid used to check ph with my test kit?

Well that's cool that yours came with it. Mine came with a small bottle of Bromothymol Blue reagent. The instructions on mine said to add 5 drops of it and fill the rest with tank water. I learned that it would produce inaccurate results and to use 4 dKH reference solution.

Passatryde said:
So my drop checker came with 4dkh fluid but it's clear....not blue and the instructions say something about ph fluid....is the just like the fluid used to check ph with my test kit?

Yes, the normal ph range test is the stuff to add.

Back
Top Bottom