Just added plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I've had a 10g tank up for a little less than a year now and I decided to add some plants today. I picked up some Amazon Swords and put them in the tank. I've looked at multiple articles about planted tanks and some get confusing way too quick so I have some novice questions.

1. Lighting. I have the stock LED system that came with my Marineland 10g. It puts off decent light. Also the tank is by a window so some sun will get to it during that day. Do I need anything else?

2. Do I need a Co2 system? I have an airstone but I don't think that's the same thing. And co2 systems have a high price tag

3. Should I buy liquid fertilizers, or root tabs?

Any other recommended tools or chemicals I may need?

Thanks in advanced :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello everyone,

I've had a 10g tank up for a little less than a year now and I decided to add some plants today. I picked up some Amazon Swords and put them in the tank. I've looked at multiple articles about planted tanks and some get confusing way too quick so I have some novice questions.

1. Lighting. I have the stock LED system that came with my Marineland 10g. It puts off decent light. Also the tank is by a window so some sun will get to it during that day. Do I need anything else?

2. Do I need a Co2 system? I have an airstone but I don't think that's the same thing. And co2 systems have a high price tag

3. Should I buy liquid fertilizers, or root tabs?

Any other recommended tools or chemicals I may need?

Thanks in advanced :)

Hi

1) No, I wouldn't change the light unless you start to notice light related issues. Increasing light unnecessarily can exacerbate other deficiencies.

2) No, but all aquatic plants will benefit from additional co2. You can increase surface agitation. This will allow small amounts of co2 to enter the water constantly as well as provide oxygen around the tank. If you plants start to deteriorate though, adding 'liquid co2' such as flourish excel is cheap and effective.

3) Yes. Plants need food. If you choose to go without co2 then they may need less.

Back
Top Bottom