just bought my first live plant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When your Jack Dempsey grows older, it and the pleco might nip your plants as they are somehow aggressive fishes. Try researching for sturdy freshwater plants such as Java Ferns. And yes, try switching to a new light just to be sure. Light greatly helps in the water chemistry too. For additional and complete information try checking Freshwater Aquarium Maintenance Tips. It was a helpful site to me. I'm sure you will learn from it too. :]
yeah i know the jacks will eat the plants, the plants are going into a different tank then the jacks, and if they do get eatin by my pleco at least someone got something out of it right.

so how many plants do you guys and gals think i can have in this tank, right now i have the java fern, anubia, onion, mistiria i think, and the bamboo tired to the top with the roots in the water like a hydro ponics setup. oh and the anubia, it has to be tied to something like the java fern?

I would try to keep it down to about 15 different types of plants but it really depends on what you. Probably go with a few more different types of anubia maybe some petite up front move your other one (nana?) back a little. Get some different types of java fern maybe some narrow leaf or windelov. Some crypts something that has some bronze color to it. Crypts are nice but they do melt, I find they do best in well established tanks or a tank that I use some cheap top soil under the fluorite or sand. I like willow leaf hydophila and sunset both very easy to grow. The list of plants I gave you are in my low tech tanks without CO2 and do very well. If I want to be over worked I add DIY CO2 and have to trim every other week at least.

Anubia needs to be tied just like the java fern.

so i had to put my jacks in the tank with the plants had no choice, they werent doing well in the tank at my friends, there still not liking this tank but its only been a day. oh no plants got eaten i did have to move the anubia and the misteria because my 12 inch pleco keeps knocking them around. but the java fern and the onion are fine.

Back
Top Bottom