Just bought some Wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought what is represented to be "Wisteria" from Petsmart in one of those little clear gel tubes. Out of four plant strands in the tube, 3 appeared viable and one I tossed because the root stock had turned brown and it looked wilty.

I've seen pictures of Water Wisteria with long, pointy leaves that look pretty impressive, but this small plant has very small unimpressive leaves that look more like some kind of mundane herbal plant. I stuck the plant in the gravel with a Flourish root tab.

Assuming this stuff establishes and starts to grow, could it eventually develop the long, fancy leaf structures? Also, does it branch off and grow more bushy, or remain as a long single-strand plant like Anacharis or Cabomba?

Any insight from experienced Wisteria owners is much appreciated. Thanks!

Andy

I bought the same wisteria. It is full of the pointy leaves now. Come to find out that these plants were grown out of water. Once it's grown under water it'll look just like to want it to :)

I bought the same wisteria. It is full of the pointy leaves now. Come to find out that these plants were grown out of water. Once it's grown under water it'll look just like to want it to :)
Thanks, glad to hear they will develop more.

Oh and will it. It will go crazy if you have good conditions!

I've seen pictures of Water Wisteria with long, pointy leaves that look pretty impressive, but this small plant has very small unimpressive leaves that look more like some kind of mundane herbal plant. I stuck the plant in the gravel with a Flourish root tab.

Assuming this stuff establishes and starts to grow, could it eventually develop the long, fancy leaf structures? Also, does it branch off and grow more bushy, or remain as a long single-strand plant like Anacharis or Cabomba?

Any insight from experienced Wisteria owners is much appreciated. Thanks!

Does it look like this?
img_1771826_0_a2d6a3d94439bbdf160100ce63d1b598.jpg

That's immersed growth. Many commercial level growers grow it like this because they will often grow quicker in an environment devoid of algae. It would shed its leaves and grow your more traditional wisteria leaves soon.

Wisteria will split, bush, and bunch up. It can get out of control and take over a tank if allowed to do so. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom