Just got my lighting..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfddser

Aquarium Advice Regular
And I'm really excited. The difference with it is crazy. Now I can finally start putting plants in here. My only question is it looks really really blue, is that good to grow plants in?

Before:

image-3365034564.jpg

After:

image-1741754277.jpg

What light fixture did you buy? It looks actinic which is for marine tanks. You need to get a light spectrum suitable for plants. Something with a light temperature from 6500k to 8000k preferably. 10,000k being the max as still acceptable.

Ahh, just now checking it is acinitic.

2Ft/4Bulbs fixture is what I got. Can I use it for planted tanks, like get new bulbs for it?

Yes switch out the actinic for daylight bulbs like Geissenann midday 6500k. And is there a way to only have two of the four bulbs on in that fixture? I'm afraid that's way too much light for that tank. Are you going to inject co2? What size tank is that? What plants are you thinking of using?

There certainly is, it has something that only turns on half of the lights.
It's a 40g. I was hoping to grow some mosses and other plants that like driftwood. Maybe eventually when I have the money I would inject co2 when I can buy a system for it. And thank you very much.

Well mosses are low light plants. You might need to be a little more planted with faster growing stem plants to avoid algae. You can also dose liquid carbon like excel until you decide on pressurized co2

You should also run just two of the four bulbs. Are there two blue (actinic) and two white bulbs? Because if money is tight, you can move the one white bulb to the one side of the fixture you'll be turning on. Probably just run the lights for only 6 hours until adjustments in planting and carbon supplementation can be met.
Running all that light with just moss you'll get an algae farm going i believe.

What kind of light is that? I'll be upgrading my stock light soon as well. Ive got a good idea of what I want, but Im always looking to see if I like something else better.
Make and model would be great (a link would be better :cool: )

Sadly it's all 4 acintic bulbs, it even said it when I was ordering it but I didn't know the difference at the time.

Well then since mosses make a lot of algae; What are some fish that like to feed on algae I could put in here that would make a good fish for a planted tank?

The liquid carbon you're talking about is just like drops I could buy at my lfs?

For the guy who wanted the link for the light: 2Ft/4Bulbs fixture

Well first order of business is to either return that fixture or buy replacement bulbs. I mentioned the appropriate color temps earlier. Geissenann T5HO bulbs would get you the best results.

Now, from the link to that website with the moss being used in the tree. Beautifully scape and certainly something to strive for. However, there's more than just moss there.The ground carpet appears to be a combination of dwarf hair grass and Utricularia graminifolia.. These are examples of faster growing plants than the mosses. When you have a high amount of light without plants that can utilized it, you end up with algae. When you add plants that are considered medium to high light, they use that extra light you have and basically suck all the nutrients out of the water. If they're not there to out-compete algae, then opportunistic algae takes hold and grows rampant. Its all a balancing act with lights, ferts, co2 (or liquid carbon), and the right mix of plants...otherwise it will go south on you with excess light. Research will be your best friend.

Anyway, you can start off slow by reducing the light by running only two bulbs and with a reduced photoperiod (6 to 7 hours max). A two bulb T5HO would still be too much light for moss alone so consider adding more plants. Maybe some stems like rotala or ground cover like micro swords.

Liquid carbon such as flourish excel or API co2 booster can be used in lieu of injecting co2 -- although IMO, co2 injection is best. Money is tight, so for now you can even consider creating a DIY co2 generator (yeast/sugar) and supplement with excel. Not too much excel as it can hurt the moss.

What are you using for fertilizer?

I have Eco-complete and a layer of sand on top of it.

I'm defiantly ordering replacement bulbs asap, or maybe even see if they have some at the Lfs, and if they do I'll grab some stem plants to put in the tank as well.
I just filled the tank up with tap water like last Saturday, so the tank is still cycling with the 6 fish I have in there, and I didn't have any lights so I haven't had the chance to add plants like I would like to.

It's all fish from wal-mart. It's like a tetra, 5 of these really small fish that like to stay in a school and a ghost shrimp. I plan on getting more ghost shrimp from wal-mart as they're only 50 cents. Maybe another tetra because the one looks lonely.
I'll be sure to order both of those right away.

Also if you look at the picture, you see the small sticks in there? I just got them from a tree outside and stuck them in there as is. They have this clear looking stuff starting to form around them. Any idea what it could be.

I also put this stuff I got from the Lfs that turns tap water safe for fish so I used that and haven't lost any fish or anything.

Are you testing your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Most tetras and especially shrimp aren't suitable for fish-in cycle. Just keep up with the partial water changes and monitor the parameters to reduce stress. Maybe you would add a small bottle of Tetra Safe Start to help expedite the cycle.

The stuff forming on the branches are most likely fungus. It will eventually go away on its own.

I have a test kit, but I haven't used it since I figured it was too early to make a difference with all the chemical stuff anyway.
Also how often should I do a water change?
The tetra and the shrimp seem to be loving it in there though, they're both very active. But that's why I got cheap fish from wal-mart, just so I could cycle my tank.

Sorry to revive an old thread guys, but I'd just like to post a picture of how my tank looks now.

image-1726918886.jpg

Back
Top Bottom