Just ordered broad leaf anubias barteri...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
What should I expect? What are it's requirements? Probably should've asked this before I ordered it lol but better late than never I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same exact plant- it's very beautiful and really hardy so it is easy to keep. I attached mine to driftwood and it rooted within a month. It is low-moderate light so I had a bunch of algae growing on it when I first put it in due to the high light of my tank. After a week though it was balanced and the algae went away. Here is a little more info on it I found-
Care Level: Easy
Lighting: Moderate
Placement: Foreground
Water Conditions: 72-82° F, pH 6.5-7.5, KH 3-7
Propogation: Rhizome Division
Max. Size: 1' 4"
Color Form: Green
Supplements: CO2 Fertilization, Substrate Fertilizer
Origin: Farm Raised - USA
Family: Araceae
This hardy, easy care plant can grow up to 16 inches wide. Anubia Barteri needs moderate lighting. a pH of 6.5 to 7.5 is ideal with alkalinity of 3 to 7 dKH. This plant needs a quality substrate fertilizer along with CO2 fertilization. This plant will flourish with either being totally or partially submersed.

Wow! I didn't realize it could get that big. That'll take up quite a bit of space in my 29 but I'm cool with that. It'll give my fish a jungle to explore and my shrimp a place to hide.

No problem, where did you order it from? When I got my 5 plants, they were only about 3 inches wide with almost 5 leaves on them and they haven't gotten that much bigger and it's been since early November so they aren't the fastest growers

Off of ebay from a seller out of a place called Johor? I've ordered from them before and the product is good but shipping is very long. I guess since it's coming from what I think is Singapore.

At any rate I'm sure I'll be happy when I get it. I'll likely post pictures on this thread once it's in the tank.

One thing tho, be sure to put it in a shaded spot. Since the plant is a slow grower Black Beard Algae and Green Spot Algae are prone to grow on the leaves when in too much light. I grow mine on DW push right up to my big Amazon Sword. Darker areas of the tank are an Anubia's best place.

One thing tho, be sure to put it in a shaded spot. Since the plant is a slow grower Black Beard Algae and Green Spot Algae are prone to grow on the leaves when in too much light. I grow mine on DW push right up to my big Amazon Sword. Darker areas of the tank are an Anubia's best place.

Yes I keep mine on my driftwood directly under where the duckweed is so its shaded there

Duly noted. My tank is low light anyway. I'll shade it the best I can.

If your tank is low light already there should be no need to hide it away in the shade too much as to where it would get almost low light, and then again the barteri 'broad leaf' is a low-moderate light plant of the anubias so if you have low light it should do fine.

You guys think I forgot? Haha. Nope. Okay so I just got the plant, put it in my tank and as soon as it hit the water, the leaves all detached. Will the roots spring new leaves? I mean this really sucks. That long wait and then this happens? Can I plant individual leaves and get a good result?

You need to attach the rhizome on the DW just like if it had leaves the wait. If the rhizome is alive it will eventually begin to grow new leaves. Just throw the leaves away as they won't grow. Just curious but did you have it shipped? If so was it shipped in the cold?

Here are some pictures. Yes it came from Singapore so I'm sure it came through some weather.

Attachments

• image-3801844665.jpg
    image-3801844665.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image-282850208.jpg
    image-282850208.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3102375913.jpg
    image-3102375913.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom