just so i hope i've got it right before i do anything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok i'm setting up a low/mid light, ten gallon planted tank.

i will need the fallowing....

a 15 watt 18" floresent tube
some type of chemicly inert substrate (i've chosen tahitian moon sand)
fertilizer tabs
drift wood
plants (duh)

the plants i'd like to get are...
Anubias 'Congensis'
Anubias barteri
Anubias frazeri
Cryptocoryne petchii
Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Hygrophilia difformis
java moss
java fern
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

have i got everything right and will this work, without a huge headache, or have i forgotten something?

your plant list looks good. the light should be sufficient but a little more wouldnt hurt. the plants just wont grow as quickly. why tahetti moon sand? eco complete is very similiar in the appearance and will make your plants very happy aswell. as long as u have the heater and filter u are set. cant wait for pics :)

yeah i like how moon sand looks lol but if i get the eco complete do i still need the fertlizer or would i only have to supplement every now and then?

and if i up the light wattage a bit will i need C02?

You probably wont need to fertilize at all. CO2 always helps but it becomes needed after you get to 2 -2.5 watts per gallon.

i think 20 watts would be ok on your tank. as long as u watch your nitrates. and also dont run your lights more than 12 hours. i have about 4 wpg on my 20 gal and only have a hagen co2 system(basically a fance DIY one) i am not getting really high co2 output but i have very veyr little algea. u should maybe use a trace dose. i like flourish trace. its not alot but does the trick. i think with the eco your plants will feed from the substrate so u dont need the tabs. but they never hurt. like i said the eco looks very very similiar to the moon sand. a little more "earthy" lookin if that makes sense.

You'll want to keep in mind that the WPG breaks down on small tanks. As a result 15 Watts will probably only give you just barely low light. Most of your plants selections should do fine but don't expect the Hygrophilia difformis to keep those nice frilly leaves.

ok thanks, i think the highest wattage my strip can support is a 17 tho hmmmm... iguess i need a new strip lol
how about compact floresent bulbs you can screw into incadeant fixtures? can i up the wattage that way?

also can i salt dip the plants to get rid of any hitch hiking pond snails? i don't mind them in my other tanks but i want to keep them out of this one for obvious reasons lol

The standard incadescent strip would allow you to use two of those 10 watt screw in compact flourescents (possibly even a bit more). If used alone you would have 20 watts and be able to grow those low light plants rather well. If you use both fixtures you would have 35 watts and should be able to grow medium light plants as well. Of course with that much light you are starting to getting into CO2 territory. It would be questionable as to whether or not you would end up needing CO2 to avoid algae.

Just so you know, I'm using Wiz~Of~Ozz's lighting theory to estimate the lighting for your tank. I have found it to be fairly accurate when compared against my Nanos. Here's a link if you want to look at it and a link to the theory itself.

isn't a 10gallon shorter than 18"? If the bulb is longer than the tank, the overhang reduces total light actually getting into the tank.

my 10 gallon is 20"X10"X12" and the hood takes 18" tubes

H. difformis usually likes a little more light. Two of those fixtures will broaden your options. Everything else looks good.

Switch your bulb for T8 and you'll get more light.

Another thing for you to know about Eco complete. You don't rinse it. Just add to the tank. As for gravel vacs, you only need to vac any unsightly stuff if you want, but not really needed. The fish poo will be the food for the plants. :)

Back
Top Bottom