Just started my first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrGame

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's a very basic 26 gallon bow and I'm sure it pales in comparison to some of the setups on here, but here's my new tank as of today ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417283972.554515.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you planning on making it planted? :)

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Are you planning on making it planted? :)

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Haha yes that is in the works. Those are just a couple of ferns from the pet store but I am going back tomorrow to up the green!

Make sure the rhizome is out of the substrate or the plant will die if it's a Java fern it kinda looks like you planted it below
Rhizome = horizontal stem

The rhizome will br the thick horizontal stem that the other roots shoot off of it helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys I'll pull it up right now

Most definitely...have to drive around the opposite side of town to avoid the pet shop. :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

To plant the java fern you can tie it to a rock, piece of driftwood, or other decor. I use thin fishing line, but you can use rubberbands. I dont think the roots grow into rocks so i would just use the fishing line, you can also use thread.

I would make a dive for water wysteria as soon as you can.

You'll find everything from 10g tanks with economy hoods that somebody started sticking plants in to the highly specialized competition show tanks you're so afraid of. ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417305647.827118.jpgdoes that look better?

It is really better if you tie it down to a rock or something imo.

It is really better if you tie it down to a rock or something imo.

I think I may have misunderstood you previously. So tie a rock to the plant so it doesn't float and then just leave it at the bottom to root itself?

Pretty much but the roots will eventually attach to what ever it's tied to and it won't fall off of the object anymore

Sorry I'm terrible at keeping up with forums. Thanks for the advice here's a look at my tank now (partially stocked)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418087938.573742.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418087960.298243.jpg. Everything is rooting nicely and the Javas are trying to attach to the decor

Update: An outbreak of ich killed almost all of my fish. I tried everything from raising the temp and aquarium salt to Ick Guard from Tetra. I still have on Cherry Barb left. It is bizarre because I tested the water and all levels seem to be where they belong, aside from Ammonia which my test kit doesn't check. I'm going to get an ammonia kit this morning. I am really heartbroken about losing so many fish

How long you been up and running? Sure it was ich??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds like an ammonia spike to me...

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom