Keeping plants alive OUTSIDE aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. We're moving several states away and I had to break down my 55 gal for the move. I am giving away the fish, saving the wood in a big plastic bag, and just trashing the substrate. All the plants ($$$) are too expensive to just toss and I don't have anyone to give them to. I will be re-establishing the tank from scratch (fishless cycle) and plan on putting the plants in right away. That will be, however, about three weeks from now at the earliest.

They are all in bucket filled with tank water. Do I just leave them like that until I can replant them?

What plants are you keeping in the bucket? Unless you have hardy plants like moss or anubias, not many plants will survive in a bucket for 3 weeks.

Sent with my fingers

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408038982.739696.jpg

Swordplants like the above.

Thanks for replying. Maybe I can come up with a solution. I do have a 20 gal. I can take in my car (as opposed to to having the movers take it when they take the big tank and our other household goods.). I can fill it with declorinated water and a pinch of fish food for the plants. Maybe that would work?

3 weeks is the least amount of time you can keep them out of water? In my opinion it would be quite a hassle. Better off selling them and buying new ones.

I honestly doubt anything would survive 3 weeks in a bucket with no real light or fertilizer except super hardy plants. If you out the substrate in the bucket that might help though.

I keep extra plants in a clear plastic container set in a west facing window. I have some that have been there for several months. Not planted or anything. I have also kept plants in 5 gallon buckets with a metal clamp on light with a 6500k spiral CFL bulb. Or you could sell them on here and then buy more back when you finish your move.

Back
Top Bottom