Keeping plants down in substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having a little problem with some of my plants staying plantged down in the substrate. I plant them and put the roots in but frequently the substrate doesn't hold them down well enough and occasionally they just float to the surface randomly. Is this a problem other people have?

The substrate in my tank is from Aquariumplants.com and is a fracted clay substrate. It seem pretty lightweight to me but then again I don't know how it would compare to Eco-Complete, Fluorite or Onyx. Any recommendations on how to work around this?

Thanks!

If there are an excessive amount of roots, it often helps to trim them to about 2-3" so that they are easier to deal with. With stem plants it's especially helpful to plant them at an angle, that way it's harder for the stem to float free. It's also good to make sure that you don't have any rambunctious fish that are helping uproot them when you're not looking.

Learning how to plant them properly so that they stay put is a bit of an art and gets easier over time as you get more practice.

Back
Top Bottom