Keeping tank looking nice with co2 hooked up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 co2 bottles from when I use to paintball are these usable? what size is recommended?

I have 2 co2 bottles from when I use to paintball are these usable? what size is recommended?

Yes, but you will need a slower reg like Palmers (they have one that is used to re-carbonate beer).. Then the rest is all plumbing..

a 20Oz bottle should last about 1 month. Also I assume you didn't get the bottles anti syphoned.

I use high pressure air on mine.. nothing beats the feeling of running around diving into the unknown with a 3000PSI grenade on your arm. :)

Ok. Let's dissect that photo a bit.

I've got almost the exact same setup and mine is minimally visible (I'm a stickler for a natural looking aquarium) and once all the plants grow in, everything will be hidden.

lg_14713_23958P.jpg

First, the reactor 1000 (which I've got), doesn't HAVE to be that far up. It slides in the holster so that the top of the reactor cylinder can be almot even with the top of the tank. I've got mine plumbed with a couple CPVC elbows to form a 180 degree "return bend" since the inlet is on top and the out let is on bottom. This serves three functions: it reduces the height required for the plumbing, prevents kinked hoses, and allws me to adapt the reactor whatever fittings I want (5/8" barb in my case). This particular reactor hangs outside the tank (which is why I chose it), so it's basically completely hidden if you use an opaque background (I like black, blue, or off-white). The light strip sits higher than the reactor and it's plumbing the way I have mine set up.

Second, the powerhead is completely unnecessary if you plumb the reactor inline with a cannister filter or sump return line. I use a Rena XP3 cannister. Removing the powerhead also removes the "ball valve" and "return spout" in that picture.

Third, the bubble counter should be installed on the regulator. Though even if it is hung on the tank, it would be outside (just like the reactor) and hidden from view. My Milwaukee regulator integrates the solenoid, needle valve, and counter into a small package that hides easily under the stand and is easily serviced.

Fourth, the pH probe is really very compact. It's about twice the size of a floating thermometer. Mine is bright yellow and I can't see it because it's hidden behind a piece of driftwood.

Ovbiously, the tank is hidden under the stand along with the regulator and pH controller. The assorted wiring and plumbing can be a bit of a tangle, but it's still all hidden.

Check out www.aquatic-store.com They have a nice selection of complete CO2 combos at very good prices. That's where I got mine. I couldn't find anywhere cheaper and the selection and service were great. Shipping took a week or two, but that's OK by me.

Having seen cost comparisons, it'll basically cost you as much to get an adapter for paintball cylinders, and all the normal CO2 stuff, as it would to just get a 5lb cylinder, and all the normal CO2 stuff.

Plus you won't have to get a refill every 3-4 weeks.
Plus, a bigger tank is less likely to fall over. IF the cylinder falls over and liquid CO2 pours into the regulator...the regulator is ruined.

If you decide to go with the paintball cylinders, make sure you strap them down vertically so they can NEVER get knocked over.

Yep.

Or you can save a bundle and keep the light levels down so that CO2 isn't as big a concern. It narrows your plant choice, but that doesn't mean it can't be a beautiful tank.

Only if you're the patient type tho...

I love being able to see my plants GROW, not just sit and look nice, haha.

name all plants that can fall under not co2 tank and is 2wpg lighting good for this type?

I ran 3 wpg without co2 for months and had very good results.. I did use excel and it is a perfect stop gap IMO

I also did 1.2 wpg with excel and grew ludwiga, anubias, java fern, and a few otehrs I"m forgetting quite well.

chillen has done a great lowlight tank so maybe he'll chime in.

but with 3 watts, and excel, I grew almost everything in my profile, excpet the ludwiga inclinata and the macandra.

Less than 1.5 wpg is "low-light" and wouldn't need CO2 to be sucessful.
1.5-2.0 wpg is "low light" to "medium light" and getting into the range where CO2 should strongly be considered.
2-3 wpg would be "medium light" to "high light"
3+ wpg is "high light"
More than 2.0 wpg pretty much mandates some form of CO2 supplementation.

Most sources for plants will give some indication as to the light requirements for each type.

Wow that pic has a lot of stuff in it!!!
You cant see any of my CO2 equipment in the tank as there is none!!!
In line reactor (DIY). Costs about $10.00 and easy to make.
Co2 tank with regulator/solenoid/bubblecounter is under the stand with filters.
PH controller is unecessary and not worth buying IME.
Water circulation is the result of the 2 canisters under the tank (75 gallons)
No PH probe either.
all in one regulator/solenoidbubblecounter was ~80.00 (Milwaukee or JBJ. I perfer the latter).
Co2 tank ~70.00
Reactor ~10.00
Co2 Tubing ~1.39 per foot.
2 Timers from Walmart ~8.00 for 2. (One for lights, one for regulator combo).
While it is costly initially (what tank isn't?) its more cost effective than DIY and easier to control.

Back
Top Bottom