Kessil LED?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will I need co2 if I get an Amazon Sun 150 watt LED for my 56 gallon column tank? It is 2 ft. tall BYW.

They're not 150 watts, just 32. It is a 150 degree lens and thus a wide angle so it gives maximum coverage. Just wanted to clarify that. I don't have the fw version so I can't comment on the plants though...:(, sorry

Oh! I thought it was putting out the equivilant of 150 watts but only pulling 30 watts. That does change things.

Oh! I thought it was putting out the equivilant of 150 watts but only pulling 30 watts. That does change things.

I'd say it is close but different since it is led. I'd think it'd be good for plants but I've never used the fw version.

Will I need co2 if I get an Amazon Sun 150 watt LED for my 56 gallon column tank? It is 2 ft. tall BYW.
Yes! I have one Kessil A150W Amazon Sun on a 35 Gallon hex tank. It started growing algae within a week! So, I infuse CO2. It is the BEST light that I have. Kessil makes a A360 Tuna Sun that can be adjusted to 6500K if you have the money. Anyway.....yes, infuse with CO2.

The A150W is $225. The A360W is about $400 on Amazon. You are probably gonna want the gooseneck also. I would like to add that the Kessil really penetrates the water. Also, it is NOT about wattage...it is about PAR. The WPG theory is dead! LED Lighting Compendium

Ok that was way over my head... But thanks. So what I'm gathering from that is that because the Amazon Sun is rated 34 PAR @ 2 feet, then I don't have to have co2? ... Fingers crossed.

Well, if you have tall plants like myself you will need CO2. It makes my plants pearl and that is all that I can ask from a light. I originally looked into a Metal Halide fixture (175W Hamilton), but they use a lot of electricity and get very hot. Then I found the Kessil. I also bought the gooseneck. It is perfect for a clumsy Hex tank.

You could try some low light plants (crypts) at the bottom and see how it goes.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/35-gallon-hex-310693.html

It varies. But they do cost. I bought my unit from GLA, but I hear Aquatek and Milwaukee are good value regulators. Check Amazon and fleabay. Make sure that you purchase CO2 tubing, bubble counter, and some type of diffuser. I have an inline Atomic diffuser. Red Sea makes a diffuser/reactor that works OK. I purchase 20 pound CO2 bottles: they are a better value plus they last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to buy a co2 setup. You could always dose with Seachem Excel at 1mL/g/day, or Metricide at 0.5mL/g/day. This supplies the carbon the plants need. I have more than double the par of that LED strip and my plants grow like crazy dosing with just liquid carbon.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True. You can use Excel. But, lets examine the PAR values of the Kessil A150W following the purple line on the graph:

Kessil A150W Amazon Sun
biggrin.gif

PAR Data(Source 1, Source 2) PAR vs. Distance from source
56 PAR @ 18"
42 PAR @ 21"
34 PAR @ 24"

if the tank is 24" deep, add about 2-3 inches of substrate then allow say 4" for the plant height. 24-2-4=18". now you are at 56 PAR...medium light.
img_2969626_1_81c3e21e2c0b0d77636585149660fa4e.jpeg

If your plants increase in growth like mine do, the PAR increases.
img_2969626_2_060b0c075f7cb14bd92cfad36706c5c7.jpg

Once the plants reach 5" in height: 24"-2"-5"=17". According to the charts you are entering the High Light Stage. The plants in my tank are tall (my posted picture is about 6 months old). Anyways, I would recommend a CO2 system in the future.

Last edited:
I love this community! You guys are awesome. Sorry, yes I've been dosing Flourish with weekly water changes & API co2 booster daily. I have tons of surface agitation. I heard that was bad if you are dosing co2, but good if you aren't. Is agitation bad for liquids?

I love this community! You guys are awesome. Sorry, yes I've been dosing Flourish with weekly water changes & API co2 booster daily. I have tons of surface agitation. I heard that was bad if you are dosing co2, but good if you aren't. Is agitation bad for liquids?
No, since it is an organic carbon chain, surface agitation will not interfere with Flourish Excel.

Is excel better than API co2 booster & flourish comprehensive?

I'd say Excel is probably equivalent to CO2 Booster. As mentioned previously, Metricide is a more cost effective alternative for Excel/CO2 Booster. Flourish Comprehensive, on the other hand, is not a carbon source. It is a fertilizer that supplies primarily micro nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom