kH, pH, what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a planted tank that's not doing so well right now. My pH is always around 6.2 - 6.8, and my kH is around 1 - 2*. I am about to setup my pressurized Co2 this week, and my 4 GBRs will be here very soon. My question is what can I do to raise my pH and kH to acceptable levels? I have some crushed coral in my canister filter, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything right now. I would really like to be able to have a stable tank, but as it looks right now, it's going to be a battle. What should I do?

You can buy GH boosters from many sources. GLA is one of my favorite:

The Ultimate GH Booster | Green Leaf Aquariums

As for kH, you might be able to get away with dosing baking soda, but I would definitely experiment with it in a bucket before you get too carried away, or do the math beforehand. When you do add it to a tank, do it slowly as to not shock your fish.

Water Conditions

Good morning Fish...

Unless you keep rare fish species, you can ignore pH, hardness, etc. It's best to let your fish and plants simply adapt. The vast majority of fish will be fine in the vast majority of public tap water. Your water is a little acidic, but plants prefer it to more alkaline water. pH and water hardness really aren't essential for a successful tank.

Trying to establish and maintain artificial water condtions can be very harmful to your fish. This is one of the times, when a little knowledge can be dangerous.

B

I wouldn't try to raise either

Hi FishNOOb83 : According to everything I have been reading about GBR's (am considering them for my new tank, so been doing a LOT of research) pH levels should for them be in the range of 5.0 to 6.8, but best at 5.0 - 6.0. And kH from 1-8 (although some sources say 5- 12).

Sounds to me like you don't need to change anything.

Good morning Fish...

Unless you keep rare fish species, you can ignore pH, hardness, etc. It's best to let your fish and plants simply adapt. The vast majority of fish will be fine in the vast majority of public tap water. Your water is a little acidic, but plants prefer it to more alkaline water. pH and water hardness really aren't essential for a successful tank.

Trying to establish and maintain artificial water condtions can be very harmful to your fish. This is one of the times, when a little knowledge can be dangerous.

B

These tests are before I introduce the Co2 though. It's going to be even lower once it's working. This is still ok for my plants?

Hi FishNOOb83 : According to everything I have been reading about GBR's (am considering them for my new tank, so been doing a LOT of research) pH levels should for them be in the range of 5.0 to 6.8, but best at 5.0 - 6.0. And kH from 1-8 (although some sources say 5- 12).

I've seen the same actually. I'm kind of thinking of my plants in the mix, the fish I was hoping can be acclimated to the water.

You may want to look into something to raise your GH

If you are planning to run CO2 on a tank with already soft water - I would definitely recommend a Drop Checker. A Drop Checker is a fairly accurate way of determining if your CO2 is having a negative impact on your water quality because it constantly measures the PH of the tank. If the PH starts to drop, the Drop Checker fluid will change colors and will tell you that you need to stop CO2.

You may want to look into something to raise your GH

If you are planning to run CO2 on a tank with already soft water - I would definitely recommend a Drop Checker. A Drop Checker is a fairly accurate way of determining if your CO2 is having a negative impact on your water quality because it constantly measures the PH of the tank. If the PH starts to drop, the Drop Checker fluid will change colors and will tell you that you need to stop CO2.

Would I be able to add something to raise the gH along with my ferts once a week? If I can incorporate that with my weekly water changes I wouldnt mind at all. If it needed to be done some other time, it might be problematic.

Alright, I did a little research and some corrections:

1. kH is the value that is more important to buffering your PH against CO2 crashes.

2. I'm not all that familiar with the different types of buffers (since i have hard water and no CO2 yet) so someone with a little more experience may provide better help.

Alright, I did a little research and some corrections:

1. kH is the value that is more important to buffering your PH against CO2 crashes.

2. I'm not all that familiar with the different types of buffers (since i have hard water and no CO2 yet) so someone with a little more experience may provide better help.

I thought it was kH. I just need to know if adding something to my tank once a week is a good idea, and if it is, what should I add.

More on Water Conditions

These tests are before I introduce the Co2 though. It's going to be even lower once it's working. This is still ok for my plants?

I've seen the same actually. I'm kind of thinking of my plants in the mix, the fish I was hoping can be acclimated to the water.

Hello again Fish...

Plants will do very well without CO2. I have several large, low tech, planted tanks and use a couple of different hydroponics liquids dosed a couple of times a week when I top off my tanks. My liquids cost about $13.00 per year depending on how much I dose. I believe a CO2 system costs a bit more than that.

As for your plants, they'll adapt to your tap water, they've been doing that for decades in other tanks.

B

Hello again Fish...

Plants will do very well without CO2. I have several large, low tech, planted tanks and use a couple of different hydroponics liquids dosed a couple of times a week when I top off my tanks. My liquids cost about $13.00 per year depending on how much I dose. I believe a CO2 system costs a bit more than that.

As for your plants, they'll adapt to your tap water, they've been doing that for decades in other tanks.

B

I already bought the pressurized system, so I'm going to use it. I'm just trying to figure out what needs to be done to my kH, if anything, so I can use Co2.

You might have too much light on that, especially if you run all four. Pressurized CO2 will go a long way for you with that kind of intensity.

Baking Soda will increases KH & PH

Calcium Chloride & Epsom salt will increases GH

Some use them some don't it's up to you.

chagoi said:
Baking Soda will increases KH & PH

Calcium Chloride & Epsom salt will increases GH

Some use them some don't it's up to you.

Yeah I knew about the baking soda, but how often would I need to dose it? Would I need to do more water changes? Is it really necessary with my current ph and kh? I just want to get some co2 in my tank and not have my ph crash or my fish all die.

aqua_chem said:
You might have too much light on that, especially if you run all four. Pressurized CO2 will go a long way for you with that kind of intensity.

I only have all four on for an hour. What do you mean co2 will go a long way in my tank?

FishN00b83 said:
I only have all four on for an hour. What do you mean co2 will go a long way in my tank?

4 t5ho on a 40b is a massive amount of light, look into e.i. Dosing method. I wouldn't worry about kh/gh etc if you dose that way since it can incorporate a gh booster.

With my soft water I put a pinch of dolomite powder in after wc, and also have mgso4 as part of my fert mix.

jetajockey said:
4 t5ho on a 40b is a massive amount of light, look into e.i. Dosing method. I wouldn't worry about kh/gh etc if you dose that way since it can incorporate a gh booster.

With my soft water I put a pinch of dolomite powder in after wc, and also have mgso4 as part of my fert mix.

Excellent, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I will check this out tonight.

I didn't think my light schedule was that bad. I have 2 on for 4 hours, and all 4 on for an hour. Should I cut it back even more?

FishN00b83 said:
Excellent, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I will check this out tonight.

I didn't think my light schedule was that bad. I have 2 on for 4 hours, and all 4 on for an hour. Should I cut it back even more?

Id run 2 for at least 6-7hrs a day. You can do the 4bulb burst if you want, just play it by ear and if you start having issues then you can adjust accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom