KingKoopa's ADA MINI M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Bert it is sometimes but I have my drop checker to far back right of the tank with the co2 diffuser under the azoo hob filter on the far back left of the corner my drop checker is a dark green most of the time

Thanks Bert it is sometimes but I have my drop checker to far back right of the tank with the co2 diffuser under the azoo hob filter on the far back left of the corner my drop checker is a dark green most of the time

If it's dark green then u have a lack of co2. You want it to be lime green atleast (mine tends to be yellow for most of the day) crack it up another bubble and it should be better :) try and remove as much algae as u can by hand (taking the rocks out and scrubbing with a toothbrush then boiling should work).

If u get that drop check lime green - yellow all day then I can almost 100% guarantee the algae won't come back

Also u want to try and have flow everywhere in the tank, if u have any dead spots then algae will tend to grow

Well I understand the flow but with the hob I have its a azoo 100 I think 80l an hr

KK can you give us a full tank shot please? I don't know much about that light but if Fresh says it strong then it must be pretty strong.

Having said that you should be able to get away with a strong light as long as you can provide enough co2 and nutrients.

I wouldn't have said so before but an experience I've had in my new tank leads me to think that part of this is nutrient related. I don't think you are supplying enough. I would go full EI on macros and take it easy on the micros. The nutrients may be being used up very quickly.

RE co2. Mine comes on 3 hours before lights on because I like a bit of surface ripple. Surface ripple is ok if you can maintain the right colour on the drop checker. My drop checker is dark green when lights come on which means because the drop checkers are a few hours behind l know I have more. Towards the back end of the photoperiod it turns lime green. This gives me good growth.

Any adjustments to co2 needs to be watched carefully as the delay can fool you.

Does the tank have a lid?

As for the light I would have one straight photoperiod of 8 hours. Co2 needs to be constant. You can switch co2 off a couple of hours before the lights go out. The plants by this time will be shutting down for the night anyway.

Increasing light duration may seem counterproductive at this point but if you manage to get the other parameters on track then you will be able to recover more quickly.

The plants need time to adapt to the artificial external queues you are providing them with. We are the 'zeitgebers' or 'time givers' and until the plants learn a steady, stable day night rhythm whist being nutrient, light and co2 unlimited they are the tank will be vulnerable to algae. I don't think a split photo or injection period would be beneficial in a planted tank.

Liquid co2 will also aid any gas shortfalls and have a minor impact on some of the algae.

Keep the tank clean and perform routine water changes frequently until you get this sorted. Unfortunately, turning things round take time but if you stick at it you will get a handle on the situation and you will be much wiser for it.

Good luck.

The tank is currently broke down rinsing substrate with peroxide using new rocks keep the fontanus had no algae bathed it in peroxide as well will send pic of tank when substrate it dried out stratum takes awhile to dry I thought possibly I wasn't getting enough ferts I just follow what it says on greenleaf aquarium on the web for the PPS pro ferts is what I use

IMG_20161228_123531.jpg

The tank is currently broke down rinsing substrate with peroxide using new rocks keep the fontanus had no algae bathed it in peroxide as well will send pic of tank when substrate it dried out stratum takes awhile to dry I thought possibly I wasn't getting enough ferts I just follow what it says on greenleaf aquarium on the web for the PPS pro ferts is what I use

View attachment 292744

I struggled with my high tech setup with PPS pro also, switch to do and it definitely helped

I got this from a ei dosing calculator
On the website on here it says micro every other day with macros in between on the website for the PPS pro thinks it says dose both everyday I don't think I could of read it wrong
Caliban the light is a ADA aquasky361 if that helps thanks for ur input as well very helpful

Screenshot_20170103-185626.jpg

I got this from a ei dosing calculator
On the website on here it says micro every other day with macros in between on the website for the PPS pro thinks it says dose both everyday I don't think I could of read it wrong
Caliban the light is a ADA aquasky361 if that helps thanks for ur input as well very helpful

View attachment 292749

Yea EI is different to PPS pro. EI gives you unlimited nutrients at all times. PPS pro aims to dose only what your plants use in 1 day. EI floods the water with nutrients so you know u will never be short on nutrients.

A guide to EI dosing:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ing-guide.html#/topics/15225?page=1&_k=xs8qzb

Tank is done bought some new dwarf baby tears. Fontanus ammonia bonsai. Ar mini as well . Will buy some more tom or my next day off LFS didn't have any good plants new shipment on Friday will go then. Cleaned all the substrate with peroxide. Had some leftover seiryu stones an a piece of spider wood. Co2 is blasting think it's 3 bps. Will see how it goes. Thanks all ya for Yalls input etc. Much appreciated.

IMG_20170103_204900.jpg

Also would it make it a difference if I didn't use the kno3 in the ferts told I could make it separate in its own container but I never use it cause I had fish

I think it will make a difference. You do need a source of nitrogen. My current tank is fishless and I've been using the separate KNO3 solution.
Make sure you limit the light.

Jus got a fluval spec v off Craigslist thanks Austin craigslist lol real dirty but the light looks new gave the fish away on Craigslists was 2 barbs 2 khuli loaches. 1 big *** goldfish lol why in a 5 no clue way to small for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much flow do I need or how much is to much flow? I got that pump from the fluval spec v an it seems like too much for the tank. Will try to post a video. But lights are about to turn off an co2 is off. So you really can't see it as much

How much flow do I need or how much is to much flow? I got that pump from the fluval spec v an it seems like too much for the tank. Will try to post a video. But lights are about to turn off an co2 is off. So you really can't see it as much

U want all plants to sway gently :)

Back
Top Bottom