KNO3 & algae - an update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been battling BBA? for a few months now. Thanks to Malkore who pointed out my nutrient deficiency (zero NO3) & pointed me towards supplement.

In my search on KNO3 & BBA, all the sites quoted CO2, high light, heavily planted tanks. My tank is cold water, low light & no CO2, & only lightly planted, so I think it useful to post my experience.

This is now week 3 since I added KNO3. I got the KNO3 from a hydroponics greenhouse <$3 for a few years's supply!>. I added 7 grams (about 1 tsp) to bring NO3 to 15 or so. I also added a dose of trace elements for good measure. I've done daily NO3 & find that unlike the CO2/high plant tanks, where you have to dose daily .... my NO3 levels is staying up around a week. So I am dosing 1/2 tsp each week to maintain levels of around 10.

The BBA (or whatever it was) is not all gone yet. BUT .... whatever I removed had not come back, only new growth I've got is the green spot algae on the glass. So I think if I keep this up & remove the black stuff, I'll have this licked.

My plants are liking this as well. The cambomba had sent out lots of new stems ..... but many had mysteriously been cut off at gravel level (I think my goldies are nibbling at the stems :( ). All other plants are producing new leaves & stems at much faster rates than before ... except for my micro sword which is being eaten as fast as it can grow.....

So thanks all for the help. Kudos to Malkore!

Thanks jsoong,

Good insight for future reference. I may need it when I try to balance everything out.

May I assume you have some phosphate issues in your tap that would be contributing, especially in the absence of adequate nitrate? I know in my planted tank BBA is a real problem due to tap phosphate if I don't keep up with NO3 dosing.

How do you have a goldie tank with zero nitrate? I never had a lack of nitrate when I kept goldies!

I think I have excess phosphates, tho I don't own a test kit, so this is just an assumption. The PO4 isn't from the tap <at least the water CO say so.>, so I am assuming it is from the fish food. Since I did not measure PO4, it is quite possible that the KNO3 gave the plants a boost to take up some other nutrient (not PO4) the algae needed, & so controling algae growth. Since it appears to be working, I am not worrying too much about the exact nutrients I am dealing with. :D

I think I have zero NO3 due to a very low stocking level. 4 of the 6 golds are babies at 1", so I guess the plants are taking up NO3 faster than the fishies are making it. I don't suppose my low NO3 will last for long as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom