Kribensis Planted Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here we go! Plans for another tank! :D I want this tank to be for Kribs. I would really like to breed them, because I find raising the fish as a great enjoyment.
So i have some equipment but I don't have the tank. well that isn't true I have a tank but the trim around the bottom is broken in several places. I basically want to know what the biggest size tank I could do with the equipment I have, I have:
A Penguin Bio-Wheel 150 (marineland) filter
A 150 watt Aqueon heater
A duel 36 inch T5-HO Glo fixture (expands to 48 inches)
And plants for existing tanks

What is the biggest tank that this equipment could handle?

I plan on buying:
Pool filter sand
A new tank
(And I think that is it?) I probably missed something.
Thank you for your time and effort! :D

If you want enjoyment out of this tank, I suggest you don't put ANY of the plants that you already have in another tank. This tank should be different.

I read on the marineland filter and it says it filters 150 gph and is suitable for 30 gallon tanks. Is that true?

rkilling that is a good point about the plants, I will venture out of my comfort zone and try something new. Depending on the size tank i get i will have to figure out what level of light I will have.

What size tank would be suitable for breeding the kribs?

Would it be alright if after a while I put the babies (when they are like .5 inch) in my 90 gallon community tank? The 90 gallon would be their tank to grow up into selling size. I have done a tun of reading and everywhere I read said that Kribs are great community fish UNTIL they start to breed. The babies that I put in the community tank won't be of breeding age so i won't need to worry about them being aggressive. Sound like a good plan? I also need to figure out what I am going to do with the babies if I ever end up with any. I am going to call some lfs and see if they will buy them for in store credit.

Just be prepared to hang onto your fry. My lfs won't take kribs until 5 months so they can sex them.

LyndaB said:
Just be prepared to hang onto your fry. My lfs won't take kribs until 5 months so they can sex them.

Yikes! I will really have to make sure to call them and ask if they will take them. But I could keep quite a few in my 90 gallon if that will work.

When I kept kribs, after a few failed spawning attempts, they were providing me with 150 fry per month. If you keep some fry to grow out with the adults, it takes them a little longer to spawn again, maybe 6 weeks. When I started feeling like I was running a nursery instead of keeping fish tanks, I donated them all to my lfs.

LyndaB said:
When I kept kribs, after a few failed spawning attempts, they were providing me with 150 fry per month. If you keep some fry to grow out with the adults, it takes them a little longer to spawn again, maybe 6 weeks. When I started feeling like I was running a nursery instead of keeping fish tanks, I donated them all to my lfs.

So you wouldn't recommend breeding them? I would definitely leave some fry in the tank so that the parents will not spawn as often

Were you planning on housing the breeding kribs with other fish? I have a pair in my 50g community and let me tell you, mine got nasty when they bred. I had to divide my tank because they were getting way to aggressive. This is their first breeding and I have 150, 2 week old krib fry I have no idea what I'm going to do with, let alone future spawns. I'm just warning you so you don't get in over your head. Its fun raising the first batch and I absolutely love watching the parents herd the fry around, but I'm already dreading what I'll do with the second spawn.

Don't get me wrong...... I thoroughly enjoyed the whole spawning experience and think everybody should do it a few times. The first few spawns, you sit there in amazement that you've got 150 freeswimming fry schooling with kuhli loaches. But, then you've got to figure out what to do with all the fry and when I found out I had to keep them for 5 months minimum, that put a damper on it. I just didn't want to get into multiple grow out tanks for such large spawns.

My plan was to keep the adult kribs in the 20 gallon long tank. Let the parents raise the fry for a few weeks. Move the fry to my 90 gallon community and then sell them. But I need to make sure that i have somewhere to sell them. I have several lfs that I am going to contact and see if/ when they will buy them. I would even be happy to donate them to the fish stores. Would the fry be able to stay with their parents for like 3-4 weeks in the 20 gallon? I didn't realize they lay so many eggs.

fishfanatic said:
My plan was to keep the adult kribs in the 20 gallon long tank. Let the parents raise the fry for a few weeks. Move the fry to my 90 gallon community and then sell them. But I need to make sure that i have somewhere to sell them. I have several lfs that I am going to contact and see if/ when they will buy them. I would even be happy to donate them to the fish stores. Would the fry be able to stay with their parents for like 3-4 weeks in the 20 gallon? I didn't realize they lay so many eggs.

I just went to my lfs and they said that if they have room then they will take the Kribs! Hurray! The guy at the fish store said something about culling the defective fish? What does culling mean?
Also I would still like help with the questions that I quoted ^^ thanks!

fishfanatic said:
I just went to my lfs and they said that if they have room then they will take the Kribs! Hurray! The guy at the fish store said something about culling the defective fish? What does culling mean?
Also I would still like help with the questions that I quoted ^^ thanks!

The fry should be fine with the parents for 3-4 weeks :) To cull them is to separate the deformed fry from the breeding or selling stock. You don't have to euthanize them, just separate them from what you plan on selling.

GuppyLover said:
The fry should be fine with the parents for 3-4 weeks :) To cull them is to separate the deformed fry from the breeding or selling stock. You don't have to euthanize them, just separate them from what you plan on selling.

Thanks! :) while I was at the pet store I watched the kribs and they are neat fish! I was also looking at the 20 gallon long tanks (they had like 8) I was soooo close go buying one but then i decided I needed to check with my fish friends :D before I bought it. They are $40 is that reasonable?
In my research I discovered they like sand/fine gravel. Could I use a cichlid substrate?
The light that I have for the tank is 36 inches and the tank is 30 inches it is also a T5HO fixture that has 2 bulbs. Is this going to be too much light (the fixture won't work with only one bulb in it. My other option is a 36 inch reef capable marineland LED light (which I also have) which light would be better?

fishfanatic said:
Thanks! :) while I was at the pet store I watched the kribs and they are neat fish! I was also looking at the 20 gallon long tanks (they had like 8) I was soooo close go buying one but then i decided I needed to check with my fish friends :D before I bought it. They are $40 is that reasonable?
In my research I discovered they like sand/fine gravel. Could I use a cichlid substrate?
The light that I have for the tank is 36 inches and the tank is 30 inches it is also a T5HO fixture that has 2 bulbs. Is this going to be too much light (the fixture won't work with only one bulb in it. My other option is a 36 inch reef capable marineland LED light (which I also have) which light would be better?

Around here $40 for a 20g tank is a great deal! Really depends on your area though. Alright, I'm not great with lighting but I'd say the T5HO would be best. Does it raise the PH? I would deff go with sand, I have Black Diamond blasting sand in my tank and the kribs love digging in it, plus its super cheap.

GuppyLover said:
Around here $40 for a 20g tank is a great deal! Really depends on your area though. Alright, I'm not great with lighting but I'd say the T5HO would be best. Does it raise the PH? I would deff go with sand, I have Black Diamond blasting sand in my tank and the kribs love digging in it, plus its super cheap.

Good point about it changing the Ph. I didn't think of that! That could have been bad :/. Were does one find Black Diamond blasting sand? Anything to make these kribs happy

fishfanatic said:
Good point about it changing the Ph. I didn't think of that! That could have been bad :/. Were does one find Black Diamond blasting sand? Anything to make these kribs happy

You can get it at Tractor Supply Company. Its $5-$7 for a 50lb bag. You have to rinse it REALLY well though

I wouldn't get a 20L for 40$, personally.
If you live near a petco they have a "dollar per gallon sale" once every couple of months so you can get a 20L for 20$.
I guess it depends on what it comes with though. :>

Back
Top Bottom