Kribensis Planted Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the nearest Tractor Supply Company is 2 states away from me... I don't think it is quite worth the 500+ mile drive ;). I was at PETCO and they had some black sand, it was $17 a bag (didn't look to see how many pounds). I would probably need like 1.5 bags which means buying 2, and that is more than the cost of the tank :(
Are there any other options for a sandy substrate? I would really like it to be black.

fishfanatic said:
Well the nearest Tractor Supply Company is 2 states away from me... I don't think it is quite worth the 500+ mile drive ;). I was at PETCO and they had some black sand, it was $17 a bag (didn't look to see how many pounds). I would probably need like 1.5 bags which means buying 2, and that is more than the cost of the tank :(
Are there any other options for a sandy substrate? I would really like it to be black.

Lol just a little to far away ;) hmm, I beleive thats the only cheap option for black sand. I'm pretty sure other stores sell Blasting Sand though, but I'm not sure which. Maybe try Home Depot or Lowes? Do a forum search for Blasting Sand, there should be some threads with info on where else you could purchase it at.

Would 20 pounds be enough sand? PETCO sells the black sand in 20 pound bags. Would eco complete be small enough for the kribs to move around?

I just got back from a lfs and I priced the tank and this fish store had the 20 gallon L for $38.99 and a glass lid for around $20.00. I spoke with the manager and i found out that he breeds ciclids (spelling?) At his house. He also said that he would be more than willing to take any overstock of Kribs that I have (he has two different stores). He didn't say weather or not I would get any in store credit, but I want to breed them even if it is for no money. I also almost bought the tank but they didn't have the lid in stock so i will just wait to buy it all at once (if I have learned one thing from this hobby it is that good things come from waiting ;) )
They had some black and white mixed sand (not really sand but the kribs at the store seemed to love it) I am not sure if i am happy with how it looks though.

Well I am officially out if control! I bought the tank and some African cichlid substrate (the exact same substrate they have in stores tanks). The substrate is black and white mixed. The guy at my lfs said the dwarf cichlids would benit from the raised Ph levels. But now I am wondering if this substrate will work with plants?? Pleases help.

Also will the substrate cause Ph swings during water changes??

I am going to IKEA to get a stand for the fish tank! I hope to get the tank filled with water tonight. :D

One step closer to a kribensis tank!
I plan to have this tank viewable from 270° will that make the kribs feel unsecure?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120503_214752.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120503_214752.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 111
The sand is washed and in the tank! I an off to the pet store for plants and hopefully half of a coconut that i can cut a little door in.
Should i get a lid for this tank? Will the kribs jump?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120505_110508.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120505_110508.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 114
I drew up a rough plan for my tank. I also just ordered a 100 watt aqueon pro heater.
I didn't draw any drift wood in this but there will be some. I am also thinking a rock cave (rocks 'glued' with silicone).
I think that these plants will work with my light, I have a marineland reef LED, If that light doesn't work then I have a backup duel T5HO fixture. With the LED fixture I figure I have about medium light, I am not exactly sure?
Anyways I am open to suggestions. Any other plant suggestions?
(as you can tell I failed my kindergarten coloring test) :facepalm:

Attachments

• 20 gallon 2.jpg
    20 gallon 2.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 105
fishfanatic said:
I drew up a rough plan for my tank. I also just ordered a 100 watt aqueon pro heater.
I didn't draw any drift wood in this but there will be some. I am also thinking a rock cave (rocks 'glued' with silicone).
I think that these plants will work with my light, I have a marineland reef LED, If that light doesn't work then I have a backup duel T5HO fixture. With the LED fixture I figure I have about medium light, I am not exactly sure?
Anyways I am open to suggestions. Any other plant suggestions?
(as you can tell I failed my kindergarten coloring test) :facepalm:

A reef LED is typically too blue. Most LEDs aren't strong enough for any planted tank larger than a 10g Except for a few that are very $$$.

See if your fixture allows one bulb at a time. If you want to use CO2 and Ferts 2 bulbs are fine.

If you'd rather avoid CO2 you need Low to Med light.

You can raise the light higher if you need less light also. What bulbs are in your T5HO fixture ??
They may be perfect as is ;)

Coursair said:
A reef LED is typically too blue. Most LEDs aren't strong enough for any planted tank larger than a 10g Except for a few that are very $$$.

See if your fixture allows one bulb at a time. If you want to use CO2 and Ferts 2 bulbs are fine.

If you'd rather avoid CO2 you need Low to Med light.

You can raise the light higher if you need less light also. What bulbs are in your T5HO fixture ??
They may be perfect as is ;)

The T5-HO fixture only works with 2 bulbs in it. Currently I have 2 5500K bulbs they say on them "maximum plant growth" I think some 6700 bulbs would look better than the 5500 (the 5500 are very pink). Could I get one 6700K bulb and one blue bulb (I can't remember the name but it is used in reefs) as far as I know the blue bulb wouldn't help/harm the plants??
I don't want to do co2 on this tank. I could do ferts in I HAVE to but I was looking forward to just using root tabs.

fishfanatic said:
The T5-HO fixture only works with 2 bulbs in it. Currently I have 2 5500K bulbs they say on them "maximum plant growth" I think some 6700 bulbs would look better than the 5500 (the 5500 are very pink). Could I get one 6700K bulb and one blue bulb (I can't remember the name but it is used in reefs) as far as I know the blue bulb wouldn't help/harm the plants??
I don't want to do co2 on this tank. I could do ferts in I HAVE to but I was looking forward to just using root tabs.

Yes, you will need to dose Ferts, but you can start with a basic liquid Fert like Flourish (comprehensive ). I dose weekly after my PWC. Super Easy. Some plants are root feeders and some are water column feeders. So providing both is safer. You can use Excel for Carbon if you want faster growth.

Lights, yeah you can pair it with an Actinic bulb and see how it works and looks to you. Keep your receipt.

Approximately how high would the fixture need to he above the tank if I had 1 6700K bulb and one 10000K bulb (I have that combo on a tank and I like the way it looks). I am aiming for around medium light. This fixture is 36 inches Glo fixture (the bulbs are 34 inches) the tank is 30 inches long and 10 inches deep.

fishfanatic said:
Approximately how high would the fixture need to he above the tank if I had 1 6700K bulb and one 10000K bulb (I have that combo on a tank and I like the way it looks). I am aiming for around medium light. This fixture is 36 inches Glo fixture (the bulbs are 34 inches) the tank is 30 inches long and 10 inches deep.

Sorry I don't know. Without a PAR meter it's harder to know exact height. I know there are good charts on the net.

I have slowly started to get my plants in the mail. I just barley finished planting some of them. There will be plenty of rearranging to do.
Any ideas why my tank is so cloudy? I don't think it is a bacteria bloom because, it has been cloudy since I filled it. And yes I washed the sand well. :)

My current bulbs are: 1 5500K 39 watt HO bulb and 1 18000K 39 watt HO bulb. I figure the 18000K bulb won't do much for the plants so I really only have one bulb benefiting my plants, AKA no Co2 :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120516_220809.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_220809.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20120516_220838.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_220838.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20120516_220916.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_220916.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 112
Well my dad was trying to be helpful so he mounted the light above my tank. But he didn't think about the sheet rock falling into the tank. So some sheet rock pieces and dust got in the tank. Will the tank still be safe for fish?

fishfanatic said:
Well my dad was trying to be helpful so he mounted the light above my tank. But he didn't think about the sheet rock falling into the tank. So some sheet rock pieces and dust got in the tank. Will the tank still be safe for fish?

No idea, so I would change out all the water if it was me. Then test and see how it looks. Sorry. Your dad meant well :/

Coursair said:
No idea, so I would change out all the water if it was me. Then test and see how it looks. Sorry. Your dad meant well :/

Yesterday I did a 90% water change (it is hard to get all of the water). And I am not upset at my dad if that is what it sounded like.

What will i be testing for? Ph?

I still have not added any fish to the tank but I have continued to add some different kinds of plants.
There is some strange spider web looking stuff growing on some of my plants, what is it? Is it good/bad?
The tank is not cycled, I plan to instant cycle it with some seeded media from my established tanks could this contribute to the white fuzz? I have been dosing with flourish comprehensive after every 50% water change, I have also been using flourish root tabs. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120527_171010.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120527_171010.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20120527_171023.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120527_171023.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20120527_171035.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120527_171035.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom