Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Large low light centerpiece type plant...

any ideas? 55 gallon tank....anything that gets 6-9" wide? low light 1.5 wpg no co2

Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm...maybe anubias barteri v. Nana plant...will grow really slow though as will a lot of low light plants though...or possibly nymphaea zenkeri (tiger lotus and red tiger lotus if you want some extra color)...anubias barteri v Caladiifolia....a lot of anubias plants grow very hardy and withstand a lot of various tank conditions. Also Bolbitus heudelotii which grows almost 8 inches wide and 15 inches tall. HTH

Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

actually i'm noticing varying information on the tiger lotus...some sources say low light some say medium-high. i'm sure someone on here has one and can chime in first hand. sorry.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a low light centerpiece plant you can't go wrong with a Cryptocoryne. A bronze or red C. wendtii would be great.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smn723
Bolbitus heudelotii which grows almost 8 inches wide and 15 inches tall.
I have this, and it's about 10inches wide, 22inches tall. I can get rather massive. Very nice looking though.

Another option for a centerpiece plant could be an ozelot or marbled sword.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Sliced Bread

Crypt, maybe even a nice sword
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smn723
actually i'm noticing varying information on the tiger lotus...some sources say low light some say medium-high. i'm sure someone on here has one and can chime in first hand. sorry.
My brother and I have both grown this in low light. My avatar is a tiger lotus grown in 1.5wpg. I think a tiger lotus would be a VERY good choice for a low-light centerpiece.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
I would go with a nice sword. leapord, ozelot, or red rubin.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice mention newfound. Forgot about c. wendtii. I have a bronze one in a little 10 gallon now with barely over 1 wpg and it is doing quite well. Actually has grown a little more than I thought it would with so little light and nutrients.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I currently have a few lotus as a centerpiece in my 75g. The tank is low-light and as a result, a bit of color fades but it is full grown and looks great. It also has this habit of sending new growth to the surface and unfurling a new leaf every so often.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anubias barteri is a great centerpiece low light plant IMO. Definately not as eye-catching as a lotus or other colorful plant but the anubias will probably never need trimming, very sturdy, and provide a lot of hiding places for fish/inverts. I'm actually setting up a 10gallon dwarf puffer tank and will be taking my huge anubias out of my 20 gallon and putting it as the centerpiece in my 10 gallon. It should take up a good 1/2-3/4 of the tank and provide a maintainence free setup (my favorite kind).

The anubias I'll be transferring I first put in my tank last Feb/Mar. It was about 2" long with 3 leaves when purchased. I split it once about 6 months ago and that piece is about 4" long. The large piece is probably ~10-12" but has split into 3 or 4 different "arms" and so has a unique shape that should spread throughout the tank well once transplanted. So in the 16-18 months I've had it I have yet to trim it (other then removing some leaves that were algae covered). Try that with some hygro!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nymphoides aquatica, this stuff grows very large in very low light, and its very often overlooked or classified as a moderate light plant for reasons unknown to me..

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerpiece, light, low light, plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com