Laterite question (please help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night I was setting the substrate up for my planted tank and had put in two 55 oz boxes (72g tank) of API laterite. The directions on the box said to rinse, so I did and the first round the water was like blood. I rinsed until I could see the laterite at the bottom of the bucket. This morning a friend said that I should not have rinsed it at all. The box said rinse, I took that to mean rinsing like sand or gravel. Did I mess up? :0

The laterite looked like red clay out of the box and that is what I pit in the bucket to rinse. When I put it in the tank the granules did not look like clay but like iron rusted gravel with no, what turned out to be red silt on them. Should I not have rinsed the laterite?

Laterite is a type of soil made from rock that is stripped of all organic material and all minerals except iron and aluminum oxide. You can rinse it or not rinse it, it doesn't really matter, but it MUST be buried under gravel or sand or it will forever cloud your water. It is a substrate ADDITIVE not a stand alone substrate. You put it on the bottom of the tank underneath your substrate.

Robert H said:
Laterite is a type of soil made from rock that is stripped of all organic material and all minerals except iron and aluminum oxide. You can rinse it or not rinse it, it doesn't really matter, but it MUST be buried under gravel or sand or it will forever cloud your water. It is a substrate ADDITIVE not a stand alone substrate. You put it on the bottom of the tank underneath your substrate.

Robot H. Thank you. I was worried that I washed away the main components and I thought I was going to have to redo my substrate all over again. Wheeeeeew!

Back
Top Bottom