LED lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aetherbound

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 21" Marineland Hidden LED lighting system in place and was wondering will I be able to grow Wisteria and Java Moss? attached is the spectrum

Attachments

• IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 100
The red end of the spectrum is what plants need so by reading your chart, doubtful.

I have a 21" Marineland Hidden LED lighting system in place and was wondering will I be able to grow Wisteria and Java Moss? attached is the spectrum

It would be easier to tell if we knew the color temperature of the lights. Does it say anywhere on the box something like "10,000K" or "6,500K"? How many watts does it use?

my LFS gave me some Java Moss and 6 6" sprigs of Wisteria so I'm out no money of they die but I kinda want them to live! LFS FTW

Just a heads up whether or not it matters the light only puts out 4.32 watts of usable energy

Usually we don't measure the amount of light a light emits in watts. Watts is a measure of how much energy it uses. PAR is usually what people use to measure amount of light in a certain spot.

It's a Fluval Spec V, it sits probably 8 inches above the substrate..
So is that not enough to keep Bacopa alive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Okay, here is my post:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298255

It shows the plants I have, and could you tell me if this light would be okay for them?
I wanted this light because in the video on my post, it shows someone on YouTube with it, and they're able to get the light to sit perfectly on the existing Fluval lid..

Well I was looking to buy from my LFS, and not only that, but I was trying to keep it in that price range(I'm a college student.. lol).
So I realize the Marineland may not be the best, but I need to know if it can keep the plants I have alive?
I would still use the Fluval light as well, if that would help?

Well I just looked up the light fixture, and it's about double the price.. Would it honestly be *that* much better??

I think it would be. The marineland fixtures never really impressed me. They're just 1 color and not very strong or versatile. Lots of blue in the spectrum. I don't know how the longevity of such a unit will be (it's in or near the water)? If it goes bad because it's in the water, what if it stops working? How long is the warranty and is Marineland's customer service really good? Then you'll be out that money.

Here's some reviews (seems kind of 'hit or miss')
Marineland® Hidden LED Lighting System - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

I know for a fact that Current has very good customer service, their Sat+ has a 1 year warranty, and that it's super versatile. You can change the color output on a whim, there's dynamic modes, custom settings you can save, and it's a full spectrum LED (red, blue, and green bandwidths). Do some research... weigh the pros and cons of both. Sometimes you have to pay a little extra to get something that's just better. You know the old adage, "you get what you pay for." I don't want to be the one to convince you... poke around online, youtube, reviews, etc... see what others are saying or "growing" for that matter and make a decision.

Check this thread out as one resource... tons of links and other hobbyists posting about their Sat+ lights.
Satellite+ Club: Showcase your Current Sat+ Tank! Links to journals & more!

I really enjoy mine and just thought I'd introduce another option because I seen a Spec V with a Sat+ and liked it. At one point, I almost bought a Spec V... guess that's why it appealed to me.

Good luck with which ever direction you go.

I won't have it in the water, it will be sitting above the water line.
I heard they have good customer service, but you know how hear say goes..

Okay.
Yeah. I think I may end up going with that one.. Some of my plants may die by the time I can get it, but I bought them locally..

Okay. Would I be able to jump to 'medium' or 'high' light need plants? (If I got the Sat+?)

Okay, well based on what I read, I probably want at about 30, if not like 25, because most all my plants are low light, except one I know of, and one that I don't know what it is, but seems okay with the standard light fixture. And because I don't want algae blooms, that should also be a reason to stick with less than the 30, right?
Or should I just try and get more medium plants to even out the levels needed, and cut down on algae blooms?

Back
Top Bottom