LED Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From the prices I looked at it would be cheaper to purchase the finnex planted+, also the finnex is the superior fixture to that one. Also if you really want to go cheap yet effective take a look at odyssea dual and quad t-5 fixtures on amazon, usually no more than $65 for a 48" (at least that was the pice two years ago). Got my 48" two years ago for my high tech 55 gallon and it's still going strong. Also it is powerful enough to grow medium light plants and a few highlight plants as well. The bulbs that come with it are bad but will work until you can replace them with coralife or Giessman bulbs. (y)

Looking at about $60, you guys talked me out of marineland hidden because its more of an accent light then anything. So i started looking at ebay for led bulbs and saw these.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could do better, it may be ok but I'd recommend a finnex, proven plant growing power and looks really nice too. That beamsworks had cooling fans as a $30 option? Not a good sign there...

Brookster thank you for the advice. Of the finnex close to my price range which would be the best option in your opinion. Figure I need 36" for best coverage. Again thank you for the help I'm new at this if you cant tell. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

P+ all the way!

I agree with Brookster about the T5. This is the dawn of a new age, of LED aquarium lights! Fluorescent bulbs just often aren't all that feasible it seems.

The only reason I recommended it for him was the price. It sounded like we were working with a really slim budget so I went for cheap but effective. Yes I agree that Leds are the future and I'm currently saving for a BML. Leds are usually the best option.

The only reason I recommended it for him was the price. It sounded like we were working with a really slim budget so I went for cheap but effective. Yes I agree that Leds are the future and I'm currently saving for a BML. Leds are usually the best option.

You were totally justified in doing so, I'm playing devils advocate and pushing op towards the dark side.. i wish I had someone push me in the right direction before I wasted ! 300 on crap lighting I can't even give away now...

Sorry man, I just realized it sounded somewhat abrasive.

What I meant was that with bulbs and energy cost and everything, LEDs are now able to get higher PAR at lower cost.

Yeah, fluorescent bulbs are very convenient and easy to find, its just that now LEDs are just plain cheaper and more efficient.

Sorry man, I just realized it sounded somewhat abrasive.

What I meant was that with bulbs and energy cost and everything, LEDs are now able to get higher PAR at lower cost.

Yeah, fluorescent bulbs are very convenient and easy to find, its just that now LEDs are just plain cheaper and more efficient.

No problem, Leds are the best there is right now. I am getting tired of rotating bulbs all the time. :)

Added bonus of led is they are cheaper on cost in the long run and you can have dimmers and stuff like that. I had the standard crap t8 that came with the aquarium and just ordered the aqueon modular led. Top of the line? No but way better. 62$ on amazon for the 48". And then I added 2 more of the colormax bulbs at about 25 each. It would be cheaper for you since you needed something smaller. I know like 3 people who use this set up and have had great luck with plants.

Might be something to look into. (Unless someone here has had them and has negative stuff- I've only heard good things from friends who have them)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the mod led, i wasn't happy with it, it's very low light, ok for crypts and ferns.

Hmmm. What strips did you add to the 2 extra slots when you had it?

Hmmm. What strips did you add to the 2 extra slots when you had it?

I day 2 cmax on the 30" model on an 18" tall tank...

Hmm. I ordered the 48" for our 55 - 21 inches high. Maybe the extra few inches will help.

Either way I think it has to be a tad better than my old light. I guess we will see! I know our light is pretty old too so it most likely isn't up to peak conditions.

Hmm. I ordered the 48" for our 55 - 21 inches high. Maybe the extra few inches will help.

Either way I think it has to be a tad better than my old light. I guess we will see! I know our light is pretty old too so it most likely isn't up to peak conditions.

Depends what you want out of the light? It will be a bit brighter than a t8 but nothing major.. if you want a planted tank it may not satisfy..

Back
Top Bottom